Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it isn't from a year with an airbag, so that limits things a bit.
It is a tilt column.
Oh, it is in my Pinto, po did it, so no clue what it came out of other than a Fox Body Mustang.
I need to get some pieces for it, and found out that 87-89 are the same (upper and lower shroud, mainly), but not finding anything for older years, so hoping it is within that range. It was installed without any cover pieces, po was going for a race car look.

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Look for ignition, column lock, or mounting pieces with engineering numbers that begin with D9...E0...E1...all the way up thru E9 . That will tell you the decade and year code the part was engineered for 1st. The most recent one will likely be the year of your column, or at least the year to buy parts for.

·
Administrator
19,648 Posts
Without pictures?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gee, I thought you guys wouldn't need pictures. :)

Here is one from the back side and one from the front.
All I got right now.
I'm thinking I can make something out of tubing for the main shaft, just wanting the area near the steering wheel to be right. Or at least not look naked. :)

Oh, the steering wheel is going away. I already got an adapter to put the Grant wheel I want on it. I know, I know, but I like Grant wheels.

Thanks,
Russ

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,648 Posts
Agreed, 87-9.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course, going with the "Russ is an idiot" theme, I had my 89 here until I had it towed off last fall.
I was going to take off some stuff to use on the Pinto, but after deciding not to take the 4banger, I just wanted it all gone.
It did not have the tilt column, so that stuff probably wouldn't have worked anyway.
I don't think I missed anything else.
Russ

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I believe all 87-89 and 91-93 had tilt columns. '90 was the exception with the introduction of the driver side airbag. This 1st year intro did not have the tilt feature due to space and time limitations to meet regulations.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure, but my 89 LX 2.3l did not have tilt.
And I've seen sellers here listing non tilt columns for at least 89s.
No biggie though.
Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Well, you got me thinking, so......I pulled out my '90,91,92, and '93 Mustang dealer brochures and here is what I found. Nothing. There is no mention of tilt columns in any of them, not as standard equipment nor as part of a Preferred Equipment Package or an option. However I do recall seeing some foxbodies, with airbag, having tilt columns. My '81 Mustang 'Ghia' edition and '89 LX 5.0 (non-airbag) had a tilt column. My current '90 LX 5.0 (with airbag) does not (per my previous post). I wonder if it was a 2.3L vs 5.0 "unlisted' feature for the later models? Or feature based on models for the earlier ones?

Like you said, no biggie, but now I am a bit curious as to which ones have tilit vs not having tilt. If others on the VMF have foxbodies, please share if you have tilt or not.

·
Administrator
19,648 Posts
I looked at the Hollander interchange. '79-82, no mention of tilt. From '83 to 89 tilt or non-tilts available. Then from '90-93 no mention of tilt again. Their info don't specify but I would imagine the default in this situation for the '79-82 and '90-93 (like C6ZZGT just said) would be "no tilt".
To be honest this isn't something I've ever really paid attention too until you guys got me curious. I always thought the alleged "tilt" Foxes got to be pretty lame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts