Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the SoCal/Orange County area that knows how to repair a cowl and has nothing to do the next few weekends ;) I have a a cowl leak and would love to fix it, but have never welding a thing in my life...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Depending on the car and the leak, that can be a daunting job. I know, I'm in Florida, but maybe if you post more information, post pictures of the cowl where the repair needs to be done, it might help anyone interested or with recommendations.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Trying to understand exactly what you need, can you tells us more about what you’ve already done with the cowl? Are you removing and replacing the entire piece?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I think I would much rather weld a new cowl in than be the one to remove the old one

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
It’s was surprisingly easier than I expected, just really time consuming. This biggest time sinks were Carefully drilling out the old spot welds and then grinding down the welds. Of course the better you are at welding, the less grinding you have to do.

If you can find someone to do the welding, you could drill out the old one clean the car up and have the new one ready to go. The new one (assuming you are replacing the whole lower cowl can be welded in in a few hours.

Reactions: Israel

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,717 Posts
Get yourself a fancy spot weld drill bit and if you're really adventurous, you can get pneumatic hole punch tools so you don't then have to drill a million holes by hand.

Edit
Just realized this is 7 months old. Whoops.

·
Super Moderator
9,583 Posts
Anyone in the SoCal/Orange County area that knows how to repair a cowl and has nothing to do the next few weekends ;) I have a a cowl leak and would love to fix it, but have never welding a thing in my life...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how did the cowl repair go?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts