Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I trimmed the original '69 inner 1/4 panel so that it will clear the 1/4 window, and the panel fits like crap. It has a slightly different part number from my broken original and the curve at the top is different causing the poor fit. I'm thinking of buying a set of repro ones, but hate to spend $200 on parts that have the likelihood of fitting worse than the one I have. So far, most of the '69 repro stuff I've seen is pure garbage. Any use these repro panels for a '69 yet?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
John, I just purchased repro interior quarters for the vert. I wanted speakers in the quarters, but didn't want to cut my originals. The repros were the same size and shape as my originals, but the mounting tabs were way off and were really flimsy. These were the mounting tabs for the metal piece that the quarter window handle pokes through. I realize that sportsroof panels are different, but the one common thing I have noticed among the repro interior parts that I have used is that none of the mounting points, tabs or holes seem to be in the right place. At one point, I was seriously thinking of cutting my originals. But Dave will tell you, I just refuse to let something beat me. I eventually got them in, but the tabs barely survived the speaker install.
I would think, you would be better off, if you could get what you have to fit, cause you will spend just as much time and energy trying to get the repros to fit. Good luck.

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
John, I just purchased repro interior quarters for the vert. I wanted speakers in the quarters, but didn't want to cut my originals. The repros were the same size and shape as my originals, but the mounting tabs were way off and were really flimsy. These were the mounting tabs for the metal piece that the quarter window handle pokes through. I realize that sportsroof panels are different, but the one common thing I have noticed among the repro interior parts that I have used is that none of the mounting points, tabs or holes seem to be in the right place. At one point, I was seriously thinking of cutting my originals. But Dave will tell you, I just refuse to let something beat me. I eventually got them in, but the tabs barely survived the speaker install.
I would think, you would be better off, if you could get what you have to fit, cause you will spend just as much time and energy trying to get the repros to fit. Good luck.
Flimsy is the key word ::

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Before I stick my foot in my mouth on this, I am assuming you mean the interior quarter panels, correct? Can you tell me if some were plastic and some were metal? On my 69 Grande I have plastic ones but also have a set from a 69 Donor car that are metal. If these would be of any use to you let me know. Don't have any idea of value on them but they are of no use to me.
Don
Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts