Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Temporarily attach a jumper wire between a good ground and the taillight housing. I've found the '65-66 taillight housings to be notoriously poorly grounded.

Hint: Years ago I made myself a jumper wire that I've kept in my toolbox for probably 30 years, now. It's an old telephone handset cable with all the conductors wired together and soldered and terminated on each end with alligator clips. Easily expandable to 3 feet. Always a bunch of 'em to be found floating around.

HI Bart

yes I have 10 feet of 16 Ga . I will have to do this the hard way starting from the battery and following the schematic.

:

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Using the method I suggested allows you go from positive of battery+ at the battery to positive input at your bulb. The difference on meter in the volts dc is your loss when the circuit is turned on. If its like 2volts or so go under the dash and read it in and out of the brake switch then in an out your turn signal switch. Your going to see the issue quickly if there is one. Do the same with ground circuit at the bulb base

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I ended up replacing both pigtails in my 66. while teh pigtail is out, take the right size wire brush in a drill or dremel tool in my case and brush to clean metal for the ground on the bulb. On one side the entire bulb mount came unsoldered so I replaced the entire socket and crimped the new one back in place, it had a separate ground wire which I groulded. Lasted 20 years so far.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts