Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to drop a 351 Windsor into a 67 Mustang convertible with a T-5 and don't know what headers are going to fit ....I've also lowered the car 1" all around

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Hedman (sp?) makes a nice full length header for a 351 swap into the 65-70 body - including provisions for running a 4 speed. In your case, the T5 will make it that much easier if you go the cable or hydraulic clutch route. JBA also makes a short header, but much more pricey than the Hedman unit.....

Since the 390/428 was factory available, there is plenty of room for other aftermarket headers include Hooker, Doug, and so on. Go with something that fits your budget and performance needs....

randy

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
As Randy pointed out the 67/8s came with 390/428s as options so the room is there. In fact the room is similar to the 69/70s so you could basically use a '69/70 set of 351W headers I bet. I have the Hedman swap headers and I dislike them for a couple reasons:

1.) Not necessary on a 67/8
2.) The primaries on the driver side are all over the place, one comes up above the valve cover lip and makes things a pain to work with.
3.) The collectors are garbage and bend all up on install and do not "point" at a very good angle.
4.) Price is high since they are a "custom swap part"

Get a set of Hookers or if you want to go with shorties then JBA is the way.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm using Hedman Shorty 351swap headers on the Clone Vert.They're Jet Hot Coated. They also make a full length swap specific header as Bossman says.
I went with the shorties because of the AOD tranny and the Lower Global West suspension.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My 67 convertible has a 351W and toploader. The 67 convertibles have a unique motor mount, note the part number.
http://a8.cpimg.com/image/28/A6/20781608-ccd0-027E01A7-.jpg
I tried Hedman long and short headers, cast iron hypo headers, and JBA shorty headers. The JBA's worked but left a very small clearence with the steering box; this left a sometimes annoying rattle or knock between the two. The second part of my solution was a set of TCP motor mounts. It was also necessary to wind the exhaust tubing around the toploader z-bar/clutch linkage.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a set of used Hooker Super Comps, p/n 6116, that are for the 351W in '67 stangs. They are in really good condition. If you're interested drop me a pm.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked up on net and it looks like you're bang on. You don't have any problems with the steering box? Heddman have a set but I'm leary of paying too little for something that really counts .
What did you pay for your set?
Thanks again

Dave

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your imput, I'm really impressed with all you guy's taking the time to answer my post. I haven't heard great things about Heddman. Hooker super comps seam to have a good rep.
How pricey are are JBA 's ? The 351 I've had done will be pushing 400 HP.....

Thanks again

·
Registered
391 Posts
Whatever headers you use, make sure the header flange is extra thick; my experience is thin flanges (like Hedman) tend to get exhaust leaks. I like shorty headers because they avoid power steering ram drop; a work around item that causes chassis flex and even more "loosey-goosey" steering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts