Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm moving to Hawaii soon. I'm hoping there's a Stang club out there. If anyone could tell me. I haven't heard much of the Hawaiian crowd on the forum. I was assuming they are in their own little world over there. Cut off from the junk yards and Stang shops of the world. I'm interested in the track out there too on Oahu, near Barber's Point. Thanks for any imput.

Bart

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I hate you both...

But I LOVE HAWAII!!!

If I could afford to live there I would move in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not rich. I'm in the USAF getting stationed there more at least 3 years. I think it's on Oahu, at Kunia, and Hickam. I've heard of friends there going to Honolulu, not too far away. I already have a place waiting for me at Ewa(Eva) Beach. Is it true about the rust there?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I just got back from a 5 month stay in hawaii, My mother lives in "Hawaii Kai" just outside of Honolulu. There are plenty of Vintage ponys out there.....At least on Oahu, I went to the big Island too but didn't see any.

Check out the link Ken posted. Thats how I followed the Club around the island.

I wasn't really impressed with the track out by Barbers point. There wasn't any light boards that posted the ET's so you had to listen to the announcer but the PA system sucks like most drag strips and makes them sound like Charlie browns Teacher..... as far as cars, there was 3 old mopars, 5 Fox body mustangs and about 3,698 hondas.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
I am pretty sure that rust was invented in HI.

Remember that you will be on a small island (Oahu), surrounded by salt water. The humidity is usually between 50 and 75%, with lots of salt in the air.

The closer you live to the beach the more salt there is in the air.

Your hair will curl /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and your car will rust. You can take the car first thing to have it undercoated, which will help, but it's not a perfect solution.

I had three Mustangs in HI and all of them had really bad cancer.

Be sure to go to the Big Island while you are there. The Volcano National Park is one of the best things you could ever do, anywhere.

I will be there next spring for a week or so. Maybe we could hook up.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drag racing is cool, but I really want to open track. I heard there was also a racetrack course out there near Barber's Point. I need high speed turns. I kinda think Drag racing is a bit boring. You get a 1/4 mile to play with. No offense. I will probably not worry that much about the rust out there. My Stang is already pretty much a rust bucket. I was planning on coming back stateside in a few years and swap over to a rust free body. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hello,

I will dispell some myths here.

First, there is a great Mustang Club in Hawaii, the Aloha Mustang and Shelby Club of Hawaii. They meet at the Elephant and Castle Pub in Pearl City (on Kaahumanu St.) on the last Tuesday of every month at 7:00 pm. Give Barry and Grace Mumper a call at (808) 261-4090. They are on the board. Tell them Mike Calabrese sent you.

Second, not all the Hawaiian Mustangs are rust buckets. For the past 10 years, the annual Mustang Madness car show has highlighted some of the more outstanding cars. Mustangs fit right into the Hawaiian lifestyle in the 60s, so there are quite a few of them there. Paul Olivas is the Mustang Guru there. He's referred to as Mr. Mustang Hawaii. GIve him a call at (808) 623-3829 if you're looking for a car. He's always got one in the works.

Lastly, there is a real popularity of the Late Model Mustang in Hawaii. They have a dragstrip (Hawaii Raceway Park) and SCCA course (on Barbers Point) running every weekend. Every year there is a Mustang vs. Corvette club drag night. Loads of fun. And the late model cars are welcomed into the AMSCH with open arms.

Why am I so supportive of that club. I'm a former president of the AMSCH and still a member. Join, you won't be sorry. It's a great way to meet the local folks and see some of the non-touristy things too.

Enjoy the islands. Drop me an e-mail if you want any other information.

Mike Calabrese
[email protected]

·
Registered
952 Posts
I am going to Hawaii on Sunday. Have to go Space A though so I am hoping that my 21 days of leave will help me get seats! I will be there almost two weeks without access to the forum. How am I going to survive. I hope they have nice libraries there with net access. We will be on OAHU from the 22nd to the 28th then over to the Big Island to stay at the Military Camp there. It's going to be a blast only thing bringing me home will be work and squelling tires!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. I did do some searching and found the Shelby club in Hawaii. I followed links and think I saw everything. Yes, even spent some time searching the rice site there. I figured I could do some reconaisance. From my observations they are starving for rice parts, like fiber hoods. I'm gonna look into it when I get there. I was planning on making my own Stang hood for the 66. I could make some money on the side in Hawaii making carbon or glass hoods. Shipping these things to Hawaii are expensive. If I started a small market there. I can dream can't I. Well, thanks again,

Bart

G

·
0 Posts
I agree with kketell. I lived on Oahu for 8 years. All of my vehicles got cancer. I know of some who have managed to keep the rust down, I couldn't do it. I once bought a rice burner from a fellow so I could garage my cougar. The car was in his back yard and had a banana tree growing out of the passenger window through the floorboard!! And it wasn't there the week before! If you really prize your car I would leave it INCONUS and buy a rice burner for the Island life. If you must bring it, undercoat the out of it, wash it frequently, and garage it all the time. If you are in the AF, young, junior, and single, you will more than likely live in the barracks, or in an apartment where garages are rare, and parking on the street is common. I had my car broke into twice. If you have valuable parts...

Other tips:
Get out and see the sights - don't hole up on base, wear flip flops and shorts, surf, date local girls, Pretend to be "local" around vacationing college girls from the mainland (really! it works!), and don't pick fights with Samoans!!

Racing is great at Barbers Point. I used to race motorcycles - only crashed once!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the response. I do plan on taking the stang. If she rusts I'll slap more bondo on her and drive on. I'll wait for retuning to stateside to find a rust free body. The Stang is already rusty as it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts