Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about this on the way into work this morning. I have seen power window kits, replacement seats with power and heat, guages, AC..all sorts of goodies to bolt into your vintage Mustang. Has anyone ever seen anyone that has come out with a retrofit kit for the Windsheild wipers to make then have Intermitent, low and high? It sure would be nice to have wipers like the new cars that have a time delay for when its not raining very much. I wonder if anyone has made plug in unit that uses the same switch hole and same looking knob.

Kory

Mustang Parts makes a great addiction.

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
Wow, you drive your Mustang in the rain? I've often wished for the same thing, but never had the nerve to try to change it.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!
66 200 3-spd Coupe - emberglo, daily driver
65 289 4-spd Conv - Rangoon Red (what else)
66 Shelby - Red and Ready to be Restored

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, Rain, snow, sleet, shine. The way I see it, if I spend the money to buy the car, fix it up and put time and effort into it - why on earth would I want to just see it sitting. I want to get out and drive it, enjoy it, and if it breaks ill keep fixing it.

Kory

Mustang Parts makes a great addiction.

G

·
0 Posts
I've been considering playing around with the motor itself. If you look around, about 90% of cars use very similar wiper motors, that look like they'd bolt in where the stock one is. Then, you'd just have to retrofit a switch, and you'd have intermittents. The only thing I'm not sure about is the travel. I think it's determined by the arms, and not the motor, but I'm not 100% sure.

-Brian

66restomod's Home Page

·
Registered
405 Posts
send an email to "Thompson, Dale" <[email protected]> , he sent me some plans to build one. I have not built it yet, but looks like it should work.

http://66cherry.stangnet.com
Member NTMC
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1611748&a=12299913&p=45161411&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg[/url]

G

·
0 Posts
Just some additional food for thought. The wiper motor off of 80's Mustangs is dimensionally identical to the motor on '65-66 Mustangs and most likely quite a few other Ford cars. Same size, same three-bolt attachment. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the electrical connector.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Hmmm, if that's true then the Fairmont (ahem) third gen Mustang intermittent wiper relay should work fine with a little adapting of the wiring and relocation the intermittent adjuster swtich. I was trying to figure out how to get the rotating adjustment switch and pull out knob to be the same unit on a '65 but may have to give up - unless I learn machine shop skills real quick.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's a good idea. My dad really likes rain-x. He put it on his pickup windshield and made me ride with him in the rain so he could show me that he didn't even need wipers anymore. :) The water just beeds up and runs off. I still use my wiper though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts