Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
There is at least one other person here on this forum who had a bad experience with CHP... wouldn't be surprised to see them reply to this post.

Doug

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
My BOSS is Stroked. LOVE IT! :: Built by Dan Nowak out here in SoCal at www.superiorautomotive.com

My buddy had his BOSS Stroker built at CHP. Everything seemed alright, until water was put into the radiator so the car could be fired off. (He did his own R&R) As the water was going in, it was coming out just as fast between the block and right side head. WTF!?! :: ::
CHP had put the engine together with "Plane Jane 302" head gaskets instead of BOSS 302 gaskets! No Lie. Amazing.

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
I had a 347 from CHP too. It was also not a happy story. Suffice it to say that CHP and customer service are an oxymoron.

I am currently having a 327 built from known parts by a reputable shop. This is the only way I'd suggest doing a stroker.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Strokers are the best of both worlds IMHO...

however if building a 3.4 inch stroker (342-347+ cid) there are stroker kits that pull the oil control ring out of the wrist pin hole. Because the 347 pistons have smaller areas between rings, it is better to run this engine normally aspirated. the up side is tons of torque and gobs of horsepower in the same small package as a small block....sleeper effect.

because the 327-331cid (3.25" stroke) stroker has a better rod to stroke
ratio and a better compression height/distance between ring grooves, then forced induction would be ideal with this setup...

both are capable of horsepower ratings above 400 cshp.

my question is, where do you want the horsepower to come into play?
which vehicle? What is its intended use? transmission? rear end?

let us know and sorry to hear about your run in with poorly built "kits"

sometimes, "going for the good deals" is not always the best idea....

do shop around but stick with the good brand name parts.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Speedomotive 383 here (388 w/ .060 actually). Love it -
no problems, but I pretty much know what I'm doing too - it helps.

I've certainly heard negative comments about CHP, but looking at it from their perspective - 2 years ? Even so, if CHP were my business I'd try to make you happy.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm in the process (however slow) of building a stroker now. Found a reputable shop in the area to do all the machine work/balancing and I'm doing the assembly. I specified all the piece/parts I wanted (based on VMF input) and they supplied me a price which was pretty close to what I found on my own. Since they weren't trying to make a killin in parts, I figured they earned it. It's pretty important to establish a (good) relationship with the shop and that's tough to do across the country. Sorry to hear about your problems and good luck with your fix.

Lou

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I think there are daily drivers, stockers, concours people, restomodders, drag racers, open trackers, real racers and wannabe racers like me. We seem to get along very nicely here. I and possibly others too have learned something from every group so share your info, it is appreciated.

I am thinking about 3.25 stroker like blkford did.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
My 331 has a SCAT kit in a Mex 302 block. Machined by a very good local shop and assembled by yours truly. ::

Built for the street with a mild cam. Dynoed 307/314 at the wheels. ::

Sorry about your bad experience. :(

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciate the support.

I know that 2 years seems like a long time, but I hardly drive the car anywhere and the vibration was annoying at worst and I avoided the RPM where it happened. I also tried to eliminate any easy fixes before tearing apart the whole engine.

I was not asking them for anything more than reimbursement for the labor. I had to buy an extra flexplate, balancer, and all of the engine rebuild parts like rings, gaskets, bearings all due to the improper balance job they did.

I don't think my request is unreasonable. I paid 2 grand for the kit, about 10% of that was balancing labor. I asked for the money back for the job that was not done properly.

I have no issue with the quality of the parts, nothing broke with the assembly 50 grams (about 2 ounces) out of balance on each end.

From now on I will take the advice that parts can be ordered from far away, but labor is something you have to be involved with locally.

Tim (CHP 'customer service') was absolutely unwilling to make any concessions despite my trying to be reasonable. He offered me absolutely nothing and gave no reason that I thougt was valid. Maybe I was unreasonable? I guess it's up the individual. They lost a customer and my referrals for life. I told him that he could be given additional positive feedback on the forums since I had defended them before. Silly me. ::

There are at least a dozen places to buy Scat cranks, Eagle rods, and KB pistons from. CHP just happens to be one very far from Detroit with customer service on par with the average telemarketer. Once they have your money, forget it. It's gone.

My kit is the 408W. The total bill for the extra parts and second balancing is $684. I get to eat it all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts