Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some excellent incentives on 2019s.

A 4x4 Lariat can be had in the low 30s with 84 months at 0%.

We are thinking about buying a small travel trailer, the Ranger can tow up to 7500 lbs with a GCVW of 12,500. Thats more than we need for a small TT.

Anyone own a Ranger and have an opinion?

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Fastback
922 Posts
I can’t help with the Ranger aspect but did just buy a 2019 F150 using Ford’s 0% for 84 months and couldn’t be happier. I put a bit down to lower my payment and the dealership delivered it same day. I’m also planning to tow and it supports almost 13k lbs. Ford seems to be hurting for sales and the dealerships I called we’re all willing ship trucks to me so I’d definitely work to get the exact trim/options you want.

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
Back in Jan/Feb I was in Ibiza with Josep and the Ford dealer there had a Ranger Raptor in the showroom. We saw another one out on the street. I don't think the Raptor is available in the US. The sales lady said they are made in South Africa.
20200203_101846.jpg

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would prefer a f150 but the wife doesnt like how large they have grown.

Ive got a line on a 93 F150 4x4 supercab with a 5.8 and 135k on it. A good friend of mine owns it and it is like new inside and out. Im not so sure that I want a 27 year old truck to drive coast to coast in the summer, but its a really nice truck. I had the same truck in a 96 model and loved it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
After driving, installing accessories in, and basically being all over this Ranger, I made a weak attempt to sell my wife (to streamline our fleet, keep a truck, and replace her expiring lease) on one since it seemed big, but small enough for her to handle. Unlike these gargantuan new full size trucks. Bottom line I like them. She wouldn't go for it ...wants a beemer or some euro crap I guess?

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
I took a look at the Ranger last fall. I was looking to buy a midsize 4-door 4x4 pickup. I also took a look at the Tacoma and the Colorado. I ended up buying a Jeep Gladiator. Yeah, not everyone likes Jeeps, but I do. I've been driving it daily since Christmas. It glides through deep snow effortlessly. I recently took it over the mountains. I like it a lot and I plan to use it for overlanding.

So, I'm sorry I can't share experience with the Ranger. I don't think Ford knocked it out of the park with that truck. I think they laid an egg.

Yeah, a lot of people say I should not have bought a midsize truck. You can buy a full size truck for close to the same price. But boy will you pay in gasoline! My neighbor across the street recently traded his F-150 for a Subaru Crosstrek. He said the gas was killing him. And his truck had the Ecoboost. (Diesels are in a completely separate category.) I also didn't want a full size truck. I live in the suburbs and that's a lot of truck for parking lots and side roads. (Out in the country, sure! But then there's the gas issue again.)

Right now EVERY dealer is desperate to sell. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd send a helicopter to pick you up. My daughter bought a Subaru Outback two weeks ago. She got $7,000 below sticker which is typically unheard of for such a popular car. So, no matter what truck you buy, you should expect an amazing deal or simply go elsewhere. Good luck and have fun in your new truck!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
The new Rangers are soooooo expensive! I bought a ‘97 Ranger brand new and it was a great cheap truck. For the price of these new ones, I’d rather buy a 1/2 ton than a light duty car with a miniature bed.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A loaded 2019 Ranger 4x4 Lariet is about 33k at my local dealer with 84 mo zero %.

A F150 XL with the 3.5 EB is 35k, same financing.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I would prefer a f150 but the wife doesnt like how large they have grown.

Ive got a line on a 93 F150 4x4 supercab with a 5.8 and 135k on it. A good friend of mine owns it and it is like new inside and out. Im not so sure that I want a 27 year old truck to drive coast to coast in the summer, but its a really nice truck. I had the same truck in a 96 model and loved it.
I recently bought a 2012 F150, 5.0, standard cab and short bed.
It does everything I want from a truck without being huge.

Years ago I had a 92 F150, 5.8, extended cab and long bed.
That truck was just too long for city driving.
Before I bought the 2012. I was looking for a early-mid 90’s std cab, short bed, 300-6 and manual trans. All the ones I found were either horrible condition or too much $$$ for such an old truck.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Back in Jan/Feb I was in Ibiza with Josep and the Ford dealer there had a Ranger Raptor in the showroom. We saw another one out on the street. I don't think the Raptor is available in the US. The sales lady said they are made in South Africa. View attachment 756533
The Ranger Raptor isn’t available in the US just yet. It’s rumored to be “anytime now” though some say closer to 2022. There are quite a few off lease, certified used full size Raptors available now. For the first few years they were in demand and the dealer premium pushed them around the $100k mark. Now you can negotiate the sticker and get incentives on a new one. It’s still $60-70k. Pax Power is building ready to drive Ranger Raptors for about the same price as a new full size Raptor using a Lariat FX4 as the donor.

The Raptor package isn’t such a good value. For the same price you can take a well optioned used XLT or Lariat and add a Camburg or Icon suspension package (that’s less expensive and better than the stock Raptor), some fiber glass fenders and bedsides, wheels and tires and a salvaged trans that has the Raptor drive modes. The suspension and trans are the two main differences that make a $40k F150 and an $80k Raptor on the sticker.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The new Rangers are soooooo expensive! I bought a ‘97 Ranger brand new and it was a great cheap truck. For the price of these new ones, I’d rather buy a 1/2 ton than a light duty car with a miniature bed.
Everything is expensive now. Or maybe I'm just a cheap bastard (also a real possibility).

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
695 Posts
Personally I don’t think a ranger is enough truck I have a Silverado 2500 hd LTZ crew cab with an extended bed. And it gets small really quick!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
A loaded 2019 Ranger 4x4 Lariet is about 33k at my local dealer with 84 mo zero %.

A F150 XL with the 3.5 EB is 35k, same financing.
MSRP for a lariat 4WD is a tick over $39K.
Everything is expensive now. Or maybe I'm just a cheap bastard (also a real possibility).
I guess that’s why I drive a Ram. I have the Rebel and it’s a nice off-road “luxury” truck. For $8K more than a equally optioned Ranger, I have a truck that can still do truck stuff, although I do dislike the miniature bed.oh, and I have a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Ranger is a bit small. I think Im going for the CrewCab F150.

Reactions: Bernnstang

·
Registered
706 Posts
Enjoyed reading this thread. I would love to get a truck, just can never decide what size I want/need. Had a 78 crew cab dually long bed for awhile in college. It was fun. Certainly got over any apprehension about parallel parking. There was a lot of that on campus both on the right and wrong side of the road.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Fastback
922 Posts
I had a Honda Accord for the family vehicle (just myself, wife, and daughter) but wanted a truck for car projects, garage sales, and towing. We explored smaller trucks like the Toyota Tacoma but didn't feel like the interior space was much larger than the Honda, however, we love our 2019 F150 SuperCrew (4-door). The interior space is really nice but doesn't seem huge, the foldable rear seats allow you to put plenty of cargo in the back if you don't want to use the bed, and while it's obviously a full-size truck, the cameras/sensors available make it quite easy to park. Additionally, the adaptive cruise control and lane-keep systems are really good! It will aggressively brake if needed and will keep you within an adjustable distance to the vehicle/motorcycle directly in front of you, while keeping you in your lane. What Ford's accomplished for towing with F150s is impressive too; mine can tow almost 13k lbs and has a slew of systems to help you manuver the trailer. It's also great finally seeing over most other vehicles!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Price is what kept me out of a new Colorado. I really liked the styling and V6 and 6 speed manual (2015 model, the manual got the axe in 2018). I also liked that it wasn't gigantic. The kicker... the "crew cab long bed" - (normal length shortbed) was within a few hundred bucks of the double cab 5.3L Silverado I ended up buying. It might be better now because the Colorado has just come out, but dealers were not budging more than a grand or so off MSRP then. There wasn't much of a fuel mileage difference either, 2-3 mpg for the V6 Vs. full size V8.

I like the styling of the new Ranger, but I just don't see many running around yet. It was a few months after they came out before I even saw one on the street for the first time.

I think you'll enjoy the F150 more.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The incentives on 2020s are really good, at lest until they expired today. I snuck down to the dealership and saw my guy there and drove out with a 2020 STX.

I wanted the Leadfoot Gray. They had two in stock. A 4x4 with the 2.7 and a 2x4 with the 5.0.

I ended up driving the 5.0 home. The 2.7 had a 3.73 axle and the 5.0 has a 3.31 axle, strangely, they both have a 9,000 lb towing capacity.

Im going to tow a small TT and I felt better with the 5.0, I felt it didnt have to work as hard. Maybe-maybe not, but it just feels better.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts