Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a new steering recently and am in the process of removing the stock wheel using a steering wheel puller from O'Reilly Auto Parts. After two complete half turns with my socket wrench the wheel hasn't budged. I want to be careful not to break anything and cause more work from myself.

If you've done this before, what was your experience? One and a half turns, two complete turns, other?

Steve from Los Angeles

·
Registered
15 Posts
Keep turning slowly because it will pop off in your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
707 Posts
I wouldn’t put to much thought into it just go slow and be careful! It takes a different amount of turns for everyone I would say!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Loosen the nut all the way but leave it on a few threads so when the wheel breaks loose it will be retained on the shaft and not go bouncing all over the car. Heads up, there is a spring behind the wheel hub pushing it up too.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Steve, The above comments are all good. Just take your time and you will make out OK. I have attached a YouTube video that shows what you will be facing during the task. Good Luck!

·
Registered
9,004 Posts
Loosen the nut all the way but leave it on a few threads so when the wheel breaks loose it will be retained on the shaft and not go bouncing all over the car.
Or into your forehead. Ask me how I know.

Reactions: Nos681 and Feli67
1 - 7 of 7 Posts