Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my gift fiberglass Shelby-style hood last night. It met wind resistance sans hoodpins at speed, and thus quickly bent itself back onto the windshield.

It's an all fiberglass hood (no metal frame). The frame is broken on both sides in front of the hinge support area, and the hood "skin" (which is two sheets of fiberglass sandwiched together) has partially separated from the frame to the rear of where it bent back....On the topside you can see 2 minor cracks, behind the scoop and in one other 6" area....The skin has also separated at the rear and needs to again be bonded together.

I anticipate cleaning up the breaks in the frame with a cutting wheel so that it will bend back together cleanly. After that, I intend to build a temporary support of 2x4s to which I can clamp the hood to keep it straight. From that point, with the hood clamped in position I can work to repair the frame etc so it will hopefully stay straight.....

Does paint/gelcoat need to be removed so that repair fiberglass will properly adhere? Should fiberglass mesh be positioned in a particular manner for max strength? Brands to use or avoid?

Has anyone tackled such a project? My Dad has worked with fiberglass before, so he'll pitch in on this one. And this hood is intended for the coupe, so perfection is not required.

Any ADVICE is appreciated ! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif TIA - Dickson

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
We had to add to both edges of Trouble's hood so they would be straight--not an actual repair, but similar. What we did was clamp a metal strip along the edge for support. Then we laid strips of fiberglass gauze along the strip, even with the existing hood edge. On top of the gauze, we laid strips of fiberglass cloth. We built the new area up in about three or four layers to match the thickness of the existing hood edge. After letting it dry overnight, we removed the metal strip, drew a straight line, sawed the excess off, and were back to sanding. We didn't remove the gelcoat, but it had been sanded down pretty good for the primer we had already put on the hood. We did sand the primer off before laying the new fiberglass on. There's a picture on my website of what the added edge looks like before we cut the excess off. Hope this helps!

http://www.tucsonpony.com/Troublehood2

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Be sure to remove the gel coat and paint COMPLETLEY. For the fiberglass and resin to bond correctly, it must be on a bare surface. Fiberglass is easy to work with, because if you mess up, you can re-do it. Fiberglass, Sand, add more glass, Sand, continue as needed. Then fill any small holes with bondo. After that is sanded, take a razor blade and add a very thin layer of glazing putty. Sand that with around 400 grit paper. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I had a fiberglass hood "accident" not to long ago.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I'm no "glas-man" but I DO have some advice....use pins next time! or wrap duct tape around the front of the car! or get a fat guy to sit on it while you drive...Sheesh Dickson, if you are NOT gonna take care of it....give it to me/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Scotty, don't go off on me, pal /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I was GIVEN the hood in this condition because the previous owner managed to do this damage.....

So, I can't claim the Doofus for this injury....I'll have to hold out (and expect) future damages !

I know the PO was some PO'd when this happened.....Dickson

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Oh, my apologies, knowing how you drive and where your mind normally is, I just ASSUMED that you drove into a bayou headwind with the front of the hood flapping like Midlife's gums/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts