Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a USA-630 CAS radio in my 68 vert.
It is amplifier compatible, with four low output channels (Front L/R, Rear L/R). Is anyone running one of these radios through an amp?
If yes, details please.
I'd like to run four speakers and a small sub, which would normally call for five channels, but I believe that a four channel output can be used by connecting the front speakers in parallel, and the rear speakers in parllel.
You would then not have any L/R balance, but would still have F/R balance.
I also believe that to run the sub, the two remaining channels are "bridged".........whatever that means.
I am no expert on this........am I even close on this?

Tom

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had a CAS Radio for many years and yes I used an amp a 6 channel amp to be exact.
I actually ran mine through and equalizer.

Parallel is fine as long as the amp can handle the 2 ohm load that this will produce (assuming your speakers you are using are all 4 ohm speakers).

I have used a 4 channel amp in my other car as you stated. I ran the Front and Rear Speakers in parallel and as you stated you lose the being able to balance the front and rear speakers. I had two subs which I powered by the other channel but mine was not bridged.

RME

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, RME.
Did you run the CAS radio without the amp, and graduate to the amplified system?
I'm curious to know how the two compare......I would expect a "night and day" difference? I'm not terribly impressed with the the radio as is, but then my speakers aren't much to write home about. Since I dropped $300 on the radio, I'd like to try and use it......I would upgrade the speakers, of course.

Tom

·
Registered
362 Posts
I never ran my CAS radio without amps as I installed everything at the same time. I was never really impressed with with the CAS radio myself but it did run without incident for 5 years or so. It also fit without cutting anything. I eventually upgraded to a kenwood radio (din) and bought another bezel sine my car is a 68. I imagine some decent speakers would be your best more than anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts