Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
camshaft

Rose, while I don't have that in one of my personal, we have installed it in customer engines. They're happy. What heads/ intake and usage are you planning on ? LSG

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Edelbrock dual plane with an Autolite 4100 on top of a never-opened 150K mile GT40P, 5.0. C4 with 2:79's, but I'll going to 3:25's. '66 coupe. I intend to run stock rockers.

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
Assuming a 1.08 venturi Autolite, you're way under-carburated for that cam..... Even the
hipo 1.12 4100 would be small. (Those aren't even close to 600 cfm, contrary to popular belief)

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, 108, but I also have a couple of 112's.

My blue '66 had a 108 with a cam and it ran real well. I'll try it and see if an upgrade is in order.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I am running that exact cam in my 331 and it is awesome for autocross! Pulls from idle to 6400rpm. I was thinking trying something more aggressive until fellow racers said it's great don't f with it. Don't worry about the EFI thing as it worked fine with a carb.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have that cam in my 67. It’s smallish on paper, but guys seem to like them. For your combo, I’d say it’s a win! Lots of tq, plenty of vacuum.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will the stock rockers and pushrods work with it?

And per Husky's concern, what drive gear is required?

·
Registered
36 Posts
They ‘should’ be fine. The big issue is installing the Alexparts springs and hardware. I’m guessing you want a stock looking valve cover instead pedestal mount rollers that require more room?

My car has AFR165’s and stud mounts, so no actual experience with using the xe164 on stock rockers. Foxbody guys use the stock pushrods all the time.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Will the stock rockers and pushrods work with it?

And per Husky's concern, what drive gear is required?
Don't know about the rockers as I have roller but I ponied up for the melonized gear to eliminate any possible harm.
As stated above it is a much better cam than the specs describe. The one thing I don't like about it is since I installed the FiTech EFI it tends to idle way to smooth. At an autocross today I was amazed once again at the incredible usable rpm range of this cam!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Received my cam Monday. It came with two pins, a long and a short. I remember seeing something about the thrust plate. Is the roller engine plate different? If yes, does anyone have a part # for the plate that I need. And, which timing set to use with a mechanical fuel pump? Should I just order a '66 289 roller chain set?

·
Registered
19,956 Posts
Received my cam Monday. It came with two pins, a long and a short. I remember seeing something about the thrust plate. Is the roller engine plate different? If yes, does anyone have a part # for the plate that I need. And, which timing set to use with a mechanical fuel pump? Should I just order a '66 289 roller chain set?
The retainer plate has nothing to do with it. It depends on what style timing chain/eccentric you're using. If you are using a cast eccentric, the hub on the cam sprocket is thinner by about 1/8" then the cam sprocket on the later stamped steel 2 piece eccentric. For the cast eccentric use the longer pin

·
Registered
33,587 Posts
If you ask me, there are two very good choices depending on what you are looking for, performance-wise.

If you're looking for a bit more "performance" and the ability to "wind-er-up" a bit tighter, then the "Almighty" M-6250-B303 cam works very well with the "P" head.

If you're looking for better low-end "grunt", good cruising fuel mileage and throttle response, but aren't going to go much past 4,500 rpm shifts, then the F4TE-6250-BA "Explorer" cam does the job nicely.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"If you ask me, there are two very good choices depending on what you are looking for, performance-wise."

Already bought and received my cam: COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts 35-349-8.

"The retainer plate has nothing to do with it. It depends on what style timing chain/eccentric you're using. If you are using a cast eccentric, the hub on the cam sprocket is thinner by about 1/8" then the cam sprocket on the later stamped steel 2 piece eccentric. For the cast eccentric use the longer pin."

Ahhhhh, thanks. You might have already told me this. If so, sorry that I was unable to dig it up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts