Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
The movie car had a hole cut into the wheel well and a smoke machine belching it out:nerd:
I do think older tires did smoke easier though.

I watched "The Hunter" again a few nights ago and payed more attention to the running joke that McQueen couldn't drive well or handle a high powered car was hilarious with the T/A, like the throttle was an on/off switch. :laugh:
I occasionally pull up the video of the chase through the corn field just to get a good laugh, it is one of the most hilarious scenes ever filmed. I thought it was neat when the cartoon "Cars" made a little tip of the hat to it in one scene in a field.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I wish there was a show that would just get a project and actually show more of the work and what’s involved using it as a somewhat teaching moment. They could stretch each car out for several episodes. They could show the thought processes involved in a restoration and the sequencing of events.
Edd China has been pitching a show like that (or at least he was) and no one was biting. One car, one TV season start to finish. It's expensive to do which is one of the reasons they changed how they shot Wheeler Dealers. You see Anstead doing some tasks but the bulk of the work is done by an in house crew and contractors. There could be 4-5 vehicles in that shop as they shoot the episodes in parallel.

The closest thing to what you're looking for would be either All Girls Garage, Garage Squad or even Graveyard Cars over the last couple of seasons. Worman is a wacky mofo but he does give classic Mopar knowledge and techniques.

I don't believe for a second that they built that in 32 days. The production planning alone probably took 3 months.
They don't do preproduction planning with either the builds or the production of the TV show. That's one of the issues with the TV builds. Kaufman has talked about it in a couple of interviews. They get an idea, start the build, find the parts and go from there. There is little to no engineering and planning like you'd see at Kindig or Diesel Sellerz/Sparks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've watched F&L from the beginning, it was more fun when they were super excited to make a $2000 profit on a flip in their tiny shop, but I still watch. Jason knows his stuff and he's a Mustang guy all the way. Aaron is what made the show, but it's still ok, even if RR is really cheesy. Fake deadlines and drama, but it's still TV and not too bad in my opinion. But the Bullit car and the chase scene recreation was cool. Really making me second guess my paint scheme...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was traveling and a bunch of the F&L episodes were on back-to-back in the hotel. I saw one where they had a 65 Shelby with a frozen motor that they (allegedly) bought for $300k and (allegedly) sold for $450k after asking something like $600k.
Ridiculous.
I agree the first couple seasons were better, when they actually had driver cars in the shop. Now everything is custom and way overpriced to be on the road.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
I agree that F&L is a bunch of bs nowadays. It was fun in the first season or two when Dick Rawlings was actually trying to pay the bills with the profit on his builds. Once he got that $17 million Dodge contract it all turned into BS. Fake builds fake deadlines, total scripting. Top fuel drag racing? Monster truck competition? Total joke.

But anyways, had to watch that episode because they rented that black dodge challenger from an old friend of mine, paid him a big rental fee, a stunt script, movie plates and bought him new wheels and tires. Lol from the way they JUMPED his car I'm just hoping the damage is fixable for that fee! He said it was just a few scratches underneath. Funny...
Best name for him, because that's exactly what he is. Actually that's one of the nicer words I'd use to describe him.

·
Registered
795 Posts
*** Monkey Garage 😂😂😂

Not a fan of Richard Rollins - he has short man syndrome!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
C'mon guys. That show is as real as it gets. In one episode (Dick) bought a garage find 32 Ford all era correct with a flathead V8, Offy heads, 3 Stromberg 97's on an aluminum intake, Nash dash, etc. Loaded it up on the trailer to take it back to the shop and when they unloaded it, it was an stock iron headed single carb different color 32. I'm no genius but my guess is (Dick) drove through Chicago on his way back to his shop and all the cool pieces were stolen and replaced with stock items and the perps painted the car to ward off suspicion. Hard to feel someone stealing chit on your trailer when your going 70 mph but things happen. Love the deadlines too. Getting a rolling shell back from the paint shop at 8pm Thursday and it has to be at auction at 8am Friday finished and driving. What's not believable about that?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wish there was a show that would just get a project and actually show more of the work and what’s involved using it as a somewhat teaching moment. They could stretch each car out for several episodes. They could show the thought processes involved in a restoration and the sequencing of events. I would also prefer a smaller crew working on the cars.
With some of the builds I’ve seen here we have folks on this site that could create just the show I’m looking for.
Isn't this more of less Roadkill and Roadkill Garage?

I'm kinda late to the party but actually find more enjoyment watching some Youtube stuff than "TV"... Mike Finnegan has his own Youtube channel that is about as DIY as "tv production" gets. He essentially has a couple cameras on tripods and records typically him and another guy working on some project. That type of stuff might be more up your alley... I'm sure there is way more, i'm just not there yet.

-RD

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Isn't this more of less Roadkill and Roadkill Garage?

I'm kinda late to the party but actually find more enjoyment watching some Youtube stuff than "TV"... Mike Finnegan has his own Youtube channel that is about as DIY as "tv production" gets. He essentially has a couple cameras on tripods and records typically him and another guy working on some project. That type of stuff might be more up your alley... I'm sure there is way more, i'm just not there yet.

-RD
I don’t know. I’ve never seen roadkill garage. I don’t watch much TV

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I don't believe for a second that they built that in 32 days. The production planning alone probably took 3 months.
After I posted my first response it hit me you were probably talking about the stunt and not the build. So I reached out to the SF Film Commission, the entity that issues the permits and indeed Pilgrim (the company that produces Fast and Loud) pulled the permits and was in charge of the stunt shoot with Fast and Loud being the intended production. They're getting back to me on when the permit application was filed and when the shoot occurred.

Doesn't look like this was a Chad McQueen fronted deal unless he first approached them about the stunt. McQueen didn't get the permits. Craig Pilgrim would have let Rawlings know this was going to happen from the get go. It might have even been Rawlings idea in the first place. The stunt was pretty cool though I thought watching the build was mediocre. I find the build threads here more interesting.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Way to make this subtly political...

Roadkill and Roadkill Garage are the only REAL reality car shows. I have to credit them with motivating me and getting me out into my garage to finish my project.

I'd include Engine Masters but that's less Reality TV and more Educational Television, like PBS.

I don't like Fast & Loud because the main character is an obnoxious narcissist who can't STFU. Which seems to be going around these days.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Roadkill and Roadkill Garage are the only REAL reality car shows. I have to credit them with motivating me and getting me out into my garage to finish my project.
The Strope or Kindig or Joe Martin shows are real. While they don't walk through it step by step you can glean some tips. The Power Nation shows are indeed like an educational channel. Shows like Worman or Sparks have quite a bit of over the top shenanigans but you can still get some good tips. In Worman's case he's like a classic Mopar training video these days. A far cry from the first few seasons. There is still the dancing, corny jokes and his movie obsession but if you're a vintage Mopar lover there is a ton of good info in the show.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
After I posted my first response it hit me you were probably talking about the stunt and not the build. So I reached out to the SF Film Commission, the entity that issues the permits and indeed Pilgrim (the company that produces Fast and Loud) pulled the permits and was in charge of the stunt shoot with Fast and Loud being the intended production. They're getting back to me on when the permit application was filed and when the shoot occurred.

Doesn't look like this was a Chad McQueen fronted deal unless he first approached them about the stunt. McQueen didn't get the permits. Craig Pilgrim would have let Rawlings know this was going to happen from the get go. It might have even been Rawlings idea in the first place. The stunt was pretty cool though I thought watching the build was mediocre. I find the build threads here more interesting.
Wow, you know how to dig!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The timeline is a bit closer to what they were saying on the show. The permits were pulled in early February and the shoot was April 15-20. Based on what I read regarding getting a permit it looks like at least a couple weeks probably closer to a month. There is info that is submitted, fire, police, medical, parking, notifications to those in the area impacted and the like. That puts them at about mid March for the permit and mid April for the shoot. But why didn't they start when they pulled the permits? It's not like it's rocket science getting them. Almost a slam dunk as long as pros are working on it. Maybe they did start the car that soon but like the rest of the Gas Monkey builds they push the "it's late" drama. I'm not so sure thrashing to just meet the deadline is something I'd want to market. It's great they make the deadlines but I wouldn't want anything I had built going to the wire like that.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't have cable and didn't even realize this show was still being made. But I just watched it last night. Entertaining show, but very disappointing that they did not get as much air as the original.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
The Strope or Kindig or Joe Martin shows are real.
Not sure I've seen The Strope, but I agree, Kindig and Joe Martin are, at least for me, not only entertaining but educational to an extent as well. Also, I hate the fake drama of most of the shows...

Allen

21 - 40 of 57 Posts