Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Not sure I've seen The Strope, but I agree, Kindig and Joe Martin are, at least for me, not only entertaining but educational to an extent as well. Also, I hate the fake drama of most of the shows...
Steve Strope from Pure Vision in So Cal. Had to look up the name of the show I forgot it. The show is called Hand Built Hot Rods. I'd heard his name here and there but didn't realize how big a player he is. Small shop, a few guys and cars at a time. Could take three years to get the car. Mostly hot rods and restomods but the restomods I've seen out of his shop are classic looking, including the interiors but with all the rest modern stuff. You could look at it and think it was a car from 1969 but once you looked at the dash and drove it it would be apparent what it was. He contracts the paint and upholstery out and at least on the TV show used the same guys for each build. The designs and ideas are his and most all the mechanical comes from his place in Simi Valley.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Strope has quite a number of impressive builds, more mechanical design and fabrication than artistic. Here’s a Mustang that I’ve seen in person, you really have to spend time with the car to see everything that’s done.
https://www.purevisiondesign.com/rides/projects/anvil-mustang.html

Also check out the 57 Ranch Wagon that won the Ford Design Award at SEMA last year. Also, check out the ‘70 Roadrunner, “Hammer”.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I really like Joe Martin and the iron resurrection shows, I would have Shorty paint my ride in a heartbeat!
And the show is shot in my area (Hill country of Central Texas and Austin). The roads are familiar.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bullit Charger

They can't do a Bullit Charger now, someone would notice the 2 extra doors.
Can't wait for the 4 door Mustang.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I wish there was a show that would just get a project and actually show more of the work and what’s involved using it as a somewhat teaching moment. They could stretch each car out for several episodes. They could show the thought processes involved in a restoration and the sequencing of events. I would also prefer a smaller crew working on the cars.
With some of the builds I’ve seen here we have folks on this site that could create just the show I’m looking for.

Chop, Cut, Rebuild was like that. they haven't had anything new for a couple of years now though.

Steve Strope from Pure Vision in So Cal. Had to look up the name of the show I forgot it. The show is called Hand Built Hot Rods. I'd heard his name here and there but didn't realize how big a player he is. Small shop, a few guys and cars at a time. Could take three years to get the car. Mostly hot rods and restomods but the restomods I've seen out of his shop are classic looking, including the interiors but with all the rest modern stuff. You could look at it and think it was a car from 1969 but once you looked at the dash and drove it it would be apparent what it was. He contracts the paint and upholstery out and at least on the TV show used the same guys for each build. The designs and ideas are his and most all the mechanical comes from his place in Simi Valley.
Steve Strope is probably my favorite builder, his cars are just flat out awesome .

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Chop, Cut, Rebuild was like that. they haven't had anything new for a couple of years now though.
I used to like that show, but it turned into a 30 minute infomercial for a trade school.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Some of the remarks remind me of dealing with a 6 year old. They refuse to try a dish because they suspect there might be a piece of onion in it. Miss out on something good because of something they afraid of. Then you fool them into trying it, and they find it isn't bad after all.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Some of the remarks remind me of dealing with a 6 year old. They refuse to try a dish because they suspect there might be a piece of onion in it. Miss out on something good because of something they afraid of. Then you fool them into trying it, and they find it isn't bad after all.
I'd agree. Understanding that the shows are primarily a form of entertainment, they have to sell ads to continue playing. The more shows there are, the better and more widely supported the hobby is.
I picked up a little snippet of information from "overhaulin' " tucked into about a 2 second blurb that saved me thousands.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
This assumes none of us have watched these "reality" shows. I have. I always gravitate back to my MotorTrend subscription where I can avoid the drama. Overhaulin' isn't too bad, kinda fun to think about if it could happen to you. I just don't like loud, annoying *******s. If I did, I'd watch Trump speeches.

·
Registered
9,638 Posts
I used to like that show, but it turned into a 30 minute infomercial for a trade school.

Same thing is happening to "Detroit Muscle" and "Engine Power". Whenever I see these episodes, I imagine some kid in remote Appalachia watching and saying, "Ma, Pa, how 'bout I go to that school? I wanna learn to work on race cars."

"OK, Billy Jo Jim Bob Junior, let's check it out... Hole-eee hot rods! It cost how much?" I feel bad for all the low income young people who would love to attend one of those schools, but could never raise the tuition and living expenses.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
"OK, Billy Jo Jim Bob Junior, let's check it out... Hole-eee hot rods! It cost how much?" I feel bad for all the low income young people who would love to attend one of those schools, but could never raise the tuition and living expenses.
I think a better option for those kids in small, rural towns (or any place) is to go to the local community college and get trained there. After that they can go over to Wally's and see if Goober has any openings... :shrug:

The placement rate from the trade schools isn't any better than going to the local CC. There are a couple of kids in the distant family that went to them. One is a regular line tech at a dealer and the other never really got established and doesn't do it. One of the ex-in laws started as a trailer tech at the yard were they do the Walmart fleets in Inland Empire So Cal and has been able to work up to a diesel tech over the last several years. He ended up not finishing CC but was able to get ASE certs through where he works.

Unless you have some connections in the business already most places are going to want you to work as a lube or tire tech first. To make any real dough you have get into higher end diagnostics and/or become a flat rate master. That takes some time. None of the big hot rod or race shops are going to hire anyone unless they come recommended by word of mouth from someone they know. Those trade schools mostly sell dreams. It's the same in fashion and entertainment as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Patrickstapler

Careful with that.

"Quote:

Originally Posted by j persons View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post

I would rather watch Nancy Pelosi swing on a pole.......
Or a noose.
So would your mom."

Drag Trump to the gallows too...while you're at it............

Well Patrick?

·
Spammer Hammer
9,183 Posts
"Quote:

Originally Posted by j persons View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post

I would rather watch Nancy Pelosi swing on a pole.......
Or a noose.
So would your mom."

Drag Trump to the gallows too...while you're at it............

Well Patrick?
I missed those. We all know the rules here. Please abide by them or we all know the way it ends.

·
Just some guy
20,004 Posts
I shut it down.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts