Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.digitalatb.com/mustang/forum/5160.jpg

Ron Morris Link

It is an adjustable coilover setup from Ron Morris Performance designed to work with OEM style upper and lower suspension arms. Pretty slick product but I am wondering if you lose any suspension travel. It looks like the weight of the front of the car is riding on 2 rubber grommetts and that little bolt too. That makes me a bit nervous.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
It looks to me that the springs mount in the upper nest just as stock springs do. The shocks mount into the flat plate just as stock shocks mount to the upper shock tower bracket. That looks like a nice set-up.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Its the other way around, this setup does not use spring perches, the coil over mounts where the spring perch would normally mount, the plate mounts on top of the shock tower and the top of the shock mounts through the hole in the middle of the plate. There is an article in the newest Mustang monthly or M&F, I forget which it was. But its still $850... I guess if you compare a set of decent springs, Koni shocks and roller perches these are not much more $$, and these give you adjustability.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think the $850 is all that prohibitive. A similar spec'd conventional suspension is still going to set you back a chunk.

From Opentrackers website:

Roller perches $200
Progressive rate springs $160
Adjustable shocks $200

Total $560

You've just got to way up the $290 difference in price with the convenience of being able to adjust the ride height ad infinitum.

·
Administrator
19,528 Posts
I've got the Ron Morris system on my fastback, but not with the stock arms. It's a great system and there was an article in M&F about it earlier this year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Laurie,

Can you give us any comparative feedback to the 'stock' shock and spring suspension that it replaced?

Aaron

·
Administrator
19,528 Posts
Unfortunately, I haven't driven the car yet because the engine is out. But, watching it be installed and looking at its design, its first rate. I can post some pictures of it on my car, if you want.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Would be good to see it installed.

Pics would be much appreciated.

Aaron

·
Administrator
19,528 Posts
Here are a couple:

http://www.tucsonpony.com/frsus9.jpg

http://www.tucsonpony.com/frsus15.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looks very nice. :thumbup:

However, I thought you were talking about the new RMP "shock kit" that bolts to the upper arm, not the lower arm.

But thanks for the pics anyway.

Aaron

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Performance wise, probably no better. It's just easier to tune.

·
Registered
71 Posts
TheShagg said:
Performance wise, probably no better. It's just easier to tune.
Agree.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the main advantage is how easy you can adjust ride height and the shocks are adjustable with the turn of a knob.

·
Administrator
19,528 Posts
MedievaL said:
I think the main advantage is how easy you can adjust ride height and the shocks are adjustable with the turn of a knob.
Exactly!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I was thumbing throuth the speedway motors catalog and noticed they sell similar setups for the early GM cars for $456.95 (weird price) the only differences seem to be the plates that mount above and below the shock tower on the mustangs. I think if you were a [email protected]$$ed fabricator you could make up a set and save some big money on this type of kit.

Link

1 - 16 of 16 Posts