Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself needing to buy a liner as one of the next things on my list(as a place to mount the USB panel mount connection for my ECU) but I am fast realizing that all the ones on the market are geared more toward reproduction than usefulness, they are all made of cardboard. If I planned on using it to hold gloves and papers, that would be fine...but for a port connection that will involve plugging and unplugging a cable(potentially often) that is simply not going to cut it. Does anyone make a plastic or fiberglass version? Or do I just need to add that to my list of things to make?

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
You have to fold the liner to install it. That’s the problem. I agree the factory design is poor. Maybe your the guy to find the solution! I think one of the aftermarket AC systems has a short version.

·
Premium Member
13,347 Posts
Yes, my Vintage Air A/C kit came with a reduced size ABS or plastic glove box liner.

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
Or fab one out of a single piece of aluminum and install it from the underside before the heater box...

Reactions: kechke

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still have plenty of foam left from the console project, will just lay up some fiberglass...too bad I still need to buy a repro piece as a pattern since that is one of the many pieces my shell of a car was missing.

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
Somebody probably has one out they can use to provide dimensions.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Somebody probably has one out they can use to provide dimensions.
To be honest I don't even have any idea how they attach, I haven't climbed under there to check it out yet. I suppose if I am going to do it though I should get ahead of the game and make one that will fit with an aftermarket AC unit.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
They attach with 2 screws on the top going through some metal reinforcements attached to the cardboard liner, then 3 on the bottom, and one on each side. All have the metal reinforcements. There is a hole on the right side with a plastic "lens" covering it for the glovebox light. I have one sitting out here in the house, so if you need any other dimensions or pics, let me know.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They attach with 2 screws on the top going through some metal reinforcements attached to the cardboard liner, then 3 on the bottom, and one on each side. All have the metal reinforcements. There is a hole on the right side with a plastic "lens" covering it for the glovebox light. I have one sitting out here in the house, so if you need any other dimensions or pics, let me know.
Sounds like it might truly be easier to fab out of some thin sheet metal similar to what I did for my console cubby(nothing fancy, just tacked together because not everything needs a solid weld liable to warp stuff):

Although, I would do the same thing with the glovebox I did with the cubby and cover the inside with vinyl. Anyone have any idea the dimensions needed to clear a typical aftermarket AC unit?

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
Several of the aftermarket AC units are hang-on like the originals (for 65-66). There should be no interference in that area where the glovebox sits.

Reactions: wicked93gs

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
The cardboard liner does leave a little to be desired, but my replacement has been holding up since high school in the 90s.

I thought there was a direct replacement made of ABS plastic available but I'm probably just thinking about the defroster duct upgrade from cardboard to plastic.

This might be something here, but it doesn't appear to be closed on the top which doesn't leave a spot to hang the emergency flasher switch or the window for the lamp either.

65-66 Ford Mustang Glovebox by Restomod Air

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The emergency flasher isn't a concern, I have already moved that to the console with the other toggles I have there, but there is something unappealing about it not having a top, even if its something I would never notice in practical use.

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
I like it. I wonder if it installs from the rear or can it be finagled from the front.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm, does the left side dive in to avoid something behind the dash?(its where I was originally planning on putting my panel-mount USB extension, but I will need to re-route it if that is the case...or possibly even scrap the plan entirely and mount the USB in the bottom of the dash panel facing downwards) I wouldn't think drilling a hole with a hole saw and gluing in some piece of frosted plastic would be too difficult to create a lens.

·
7,074 Posts
I made one out of ABS. It was made in 2 sections, a top and bottom half for installation purposes. The halves were inserted into position and then secured together with speed clips and screws. The factory holes were used to attach the assembly in place.

I had to make something sturdier than stock to install a single DIN head unit in the glove box (stereo).

It was a fun project to do. I got the abs and clips and what-not from partsexpress.com

PHil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts