Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I;ve replaced the driveshaft yoke seal on my 67 8" rear & it's still weeping fluid when it sits.
Hs anyone sleeved their yoke to solve this type of problem? Yukon diff's sells the sleeve.

If you've done it, does sleeve need to be heated I to install on yoke shaft?

TY,
Gimpy

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Sleeves are so thin, wouldn't they lose any significant heat before you could actually get them in place anyway? Just thinking...
I would contact the supplier to find out the recommended installation procedure.

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
The sleeves are extremely thin- maybe .005" thick? Heating it would turn it into an expensive ($20-$30) paperweight. They are thin so that you can use the original seal and the sleeve only very slightly stretches the rubber part of the seal. They are made slightly undersized so that they have to be driven into place over the damaged sealing surface. I have used them several times in different applications and they have done the job every time.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I’d replace the yoke before I put a sleeve on one....
I’ve put sleeves on dozens of balancers way back when, it was probably easier than a yoke because I could set them on something flat and assure the sleeve was going on straight. Any misalignment and another sleeve was required. Not as easy with a yoke flopping around, if I was going to do one though I’d throw the sleeve in an oven at a 180 degrees or so and try from there.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I’d replace the yoke before I put a sleeve on one....
I’ve put sleeves on dozens of balancers way back when, it was probably easier than a yoke because I could set them on something flat and assure the sleeve was going on straight. Any misalignment and another sleeve was required. Not as easy with a yoke flopping around, if I was going to do one though I’d throw the sleeve in an oven at a 180 degrees or so and try from there.
If going down the heated sleeve route, can't hurt to hit the yoke with a can of freeze spray for your best chance of getting it on right first time.. plus a little lube as she goes on would help..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Another thing to consider, the factory yoke is kinda long as opposed to something newer, earlier Fords had a seal on the output shaft also. (Not your Mustang, late 50 early 60’s stuff but the Mustang yoke is still lengthy) Would you even be able to put the sleeve down far enough on the yoke so that it’s where the seal rides? The sleeves aren’t but an inch long or so.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Does the yoke have a groove worn in it where the seal rides? If not, why install a sleeve?

Also, have you checked to make sure a) your vent isn't plugged and b) your converter drainback valve is working?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Is this the yoke on the driveshaft that slides into the trans, or the yoke bolted to the 8" rear's pinion gear? Not sure if one is available for the trans end. The one for the pinion end should be an easy install. No heating necessary.

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
DO NOT HEAT the sleeve. It is designed slightly undersized so it must be driven onto the damaged surface. The sleeve usually comes with an installation tool but I have used PVC pipe when the sleeve has to be installed farther than the tool allows.
There is no rocket science involved in installing one. Remove the yoke and clamp it in a vise. Drive the sleeve in place. Reinstall the yoke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts