Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how it worked? Would an aluminum bat work just as well? I have a few of those but I would have to buy a wood bat.

Kevin

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I did it on the rear.

It worked 'ok' I was only able to get a partial roll though maybe 1/2 way to flat. I am still trying to figure out how to get them completely flat...the rears are tough because its double think metal....on the fronts I imagine the WOODEN baseball bat would lay 'em flat no problems.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have a perfect piece of firewood that worked so good that I stripped the bark and painted it so it wouldn't get burned or thrown out. ::

It depends on what type of paint you have but I put a fine slit along the edge of the openings with a utility knife so that the paint wouldn't crack.
Dan

·
Vendor
5,304 Posts
I rolled all my fenders FLAT with a wooden bat. Cracked and split some of the paint on the lip though...

You'll need to tape a towel or something around the bat to make it thicker.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just rolled my front fenders this past weekend. I used an old aluminum bat that was lying around the garage. It worked fine. I am curious why everyone else used a wooden bat or other form of wood.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
they make tools you can buy that do it in just a few mins, why risk chipping your paint or worse with a baseball bat? baseball bats are used for hittin balls, fender lip rollin tools for are for rolling fender lips... dont ask me WHY i am dead against bats and or hammers to roll fender lips

·
Registered
815 Posts
By the looks of my fender the previous owner used an alternate method; instead of rolling the bat he just stood on the hood and beat the fender into submission.
I am constantly 'praising' the previous owner for his 'done good' work.

G

·
0 Posts
I used the hammer/wood block method, came out fine, all four are flat. Paint is a big issue though... I don't give a crap about my paint, as it's flaking off, anyway.

G

·
0 Posts
Anybody got a before and after photo to show what the [email protected] you are talking about? I am interested in learning what a fender roll looks like before and after.

http://a1.cpimg.com/image/19/74/15534361-575b-02000180-.jpg

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just thought wooden bats were cheaper if someone had to go buy one to do his fender. Since I already have metal bats that I don't need, that is a no cost solution.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wondered if the bat method was the equivalent of a BFH solution? And if I ever sold my Mustang, would I ever be talked about as one those lousy POs because of using it?

I won't ask why you're for using the right tools for the job. That would seem to logical. ::

1 - 13 of 13 Posts