Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After no success in rolling (bending back) my fender lips, I'm wondering if anyone has ever simply trimmed that lip off? If so, what tool did you use - sawzall, nibbler, cutting wheel? Did it ruin the paint on the outside of the fender (I don't care about the underside that I'm hoping to remove). Thanks - Dickson

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Yes.... not recommended.

Use a slow D/A sander to keep the heat down.

If you take it too far you end up with the fender and the liner both flapping. Not a happy thing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My (car's) PO made a cut every inch or so on the lip and then rolled it back. Sadly, they did this at all 4 corners. If you are considering completely trimming the lip off, this may be an option for you. I would be happy to get some pics if you'd like. Just a thought.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,355 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are repro fenders, so I really don't care if I have to cut them to make some room....Pics would be great.

Post here / PM or send to me at [email protected]

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I checked some of your previous posts but couldn't find the backstory on your wanting to do this.... I'd be worried about providing another roosting spot for wet road grime by rolling or cutting like that, not to mention separating the fender or quarter from the outer wheel well or bollocking up the drainage...

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to do this as my tires are rubbing. Thankfully, I believe it's only happening when I park the car in my home driveway, and I think I can stop it by going up there slowly.....

Agreed on the rust concern. Again, thankfully it's only occuring on the front (no wheelwell separation concern) and I've already painted with Corroless and then undercoated the inside of the fenders. I might add some more undercoating for good measure after rolling just in case some is scraped off in process, but otherwise I think I'm in pretty good shape. Rust-O-Phobic here.....

Thanks - Dickson

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
If you were going to paint the fenders afterwards, I'd say cut them and weld steel rod around the opening inside the fender. That way, you will still have strength on the edge of the fender lip. That's what my friend did to his Shelby. The steel rod is a little smaller diameter than a penci. We just trimmed the metal off the fender, and took the rod and bent it to the shap of the fenderwell. Then tack welded it inside the fender.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If you cut out the lip, wont the fender be a bit flimsy there? I thought the lip was structural to some extent??? I seem to remember a suggestion of using an old baseball bat to roll the lips fo the fenders. Never tried it but if you're going to resort to the cutter...give it a try!

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,397 Posts
Dickson, I can't understand why you can't roll them. I have laid my fronts almost even with the inside of the outer flare. I used the brick/towel and a 3lb hammer. I hit/worked the edges a bit at time, lying on my back. You move back and forth, taking it a bit at a time. The trick is to have the resistance (brick/towel) solidly behind the spot you are hitting. Get the missus to hold the brick (don't have TOO much towel around it, it'll absorb too much of the impact) and hit the lip. You want to hit it a glancing blow, sort of guiding it so it lays back. I'm confident you can do this, I'd come show you if I had time. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Me too Dickson,

I don't understand either, I used a bag of lead shot bought at the local ammo store (we are in Texas aren't we?) instead of the brick and towel. I did the tapping with a plastic dead blow hammer.

Worked fine, don't cut the lip!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll give it another try.

I was by myself, it was hot, and I probably did not give it enough "umph". Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts