Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm condsidering buying a Milodon Alum Water pump for my 302. Anyone ever use these? Or does anyone know how they compare to an Edelbrock?

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I recently installed one, have not turned it over yet though. I will say for the price it looks like you get your monies worth. Fit fine, bolt holes where were they are supposed to be.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I ran one for a long time. Had no problems with it and I really liked the lighter weight of Al.
Eventually went back to a Ford pump as I like that life-time warranty stuff.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since you went back to FORD (lifetime waranty) how long did the Milodon last?

G

·
0 Posts
I installed a Milodon Aluminum high-flow unit on my '66 289 this past weekend -- seems OK, although the impeller was stamped, not cast /forums/images/icons/frown.gif. On the up side, it had that anti-cavitation plate on the impeller, so...

$75.75 from Jegs, I believe, with both gaskets and back plate included. Installed no problem.

Now the ARP water pump bolt kit I bought, that's another story. The bolts are great (12 point SS), but the sizes weren't really optimum for my install, which I thought was pretty standard. In fact, I had to re-use the bolt that goes in just above the fuel pump, as there were just not enough bolts of that size in the kit to go in all the places that actually needed them. Strange.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Just installed one on mine about two months ago. No problems and it looks and works great. I had the same problem that zieroh had with the ARP bolt kit.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I have a Milodon standard flow aluninum pump. Been running it a year now, no problems. Same problem with the ARP kit the others had. . .

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I had one it lasted about 2 weeks, started leaking out of the front seal. Got a flowcooler pump to replace it, car runs cooler with the flowcooler.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
It think it was around for at least 5-6 years. It didn't have a ton of milage on it, but I was a little concerned about the front bearing (it was still working fine when I took it off). It had a little bit more play than I liked. My 7000 rpm shifts back then probably didn't help much, lol

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Installed one on the 427 windsor when I put it in the car.Only problem was weld on impeller was a little to high and rubbed the back plate. Filed it down and works great.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Slapped the high flow version on my 289 in the coupe and the operating temp went down about 8 degrees on average. The fit and finish were good, and it never developed a leak in the time I had it. I thought it was a good value against the cost of the Edelbrock. I paid about $80 from Summit Racing. Just my .0199999 cents worth. Cheers!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, sounds better than 100+ for an Edelbrock.

G

·
0 Posts
Whew! Here I thought I might be crazy, or just plain dumb. Glad to know that it wasn't just me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah, I used one on my 289 for a bit over a year until the front seal gave out. I'm not a happy camper, since it has a whopping 90 day warranty as I recall. No racing or other abuse, just mostly highway miles. I went and bought a lifetime cast iron unit at Autozone instead of replacing the Milodon pump.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just bought one and installed it (haven't run engine yet) but while installing it I noticed that it is exactly the same as the GMB pump (bought at Schucks/Kragen). They welded on a circular plate to the impeller but that's the only difference I can see. I'm not sure if they run a different bearing or not but the housing is the same, it even has the "G" cast into it. You can buy it from the parts store for 40 buck or so.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've ordered a Ford Alum for $22 from NAPA. Better than $80 or $150. Plus with electric fans I should have no probs. Don't have any now with stock setup, just want to make it better./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mildon water pump went bad

Ive had 2 that the bearing went bad after 3000 miles or so. They were 15 plus years old but still should last more than 3000 miles. I went with the Edelbrock this time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts