Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
I haven't used them but heard good things from them.

·
Registered
792 Posts
PM kkettell, I think he had some pretty major issues with an engine from them.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would avoid CHP.

Here is a link to a prior post about my experience with CHP. It is a two part story. So read the
whole thing.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums...rue#Post1173994

I feel lucky. I did not buy from CHP. Some folks have had good experience with them, but
others have not.

I still suggest buying a SCAT Kit, then getting a reputable builder to put it together.

YMMV
plain old mustang

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
First and foremost is this thought: DO NOT SHOP PRICE FOR YOUR ENGINE!!!

Shop warranty first, price second, or maybe even third after name-brand parts.

That said, I had a 347 from CHP. It was a disaster. Customer service was terrible as well.

I am not the only one to have had problems. I believe it was Darkhorse Racing that had a brand-new engine from CHP die during it's first warm-up lap. The crank actually snapped.

I'd advise going someplace that will warrant their work. The first thing the customer service rep said to me at CHP was "performance parts... no warranty". This may have changed, but if so, get it in writing and check their work carefully.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
You might try checking out Ad Performance. Also, try PMing ed2, I know he has a builder in our neck of the woods that he really trusts. IIRC he does a lot of work on cars running regularly at Pacific Raceways.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never had too good a feeling about a mail order engine because of the lack of customer service. If something goes wrong, you basically screwed. Sounds like I was right. I think I'll keep checking locally. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
5 years ago, it took me a looong time to get pistons from them... I was always told the piston run for my specs was coming soon. I had to continually keep calling them, then when I got the pistons, my engine builder told me there were huge weight differences between all eight of them. He told me he never saw such great weight differences from pistons that were "CNC" made. I told CHP this, and Chris Huff, co-founder of CHP called my engine shop and apologized for such, FWIW

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Here are the weights in grams of my Probe pistons:

1. 450.63
2. 450.65
3. 450.63
4. 450.63
5. 450.63
6. 450.63
7. 450.63
8. 450.67

This is my only dealing with CHP and I can't speak from personal experience on anything else.

FWIW, I know they build lots of crate engines and shortblocks. Their customers on the Hardcore 5.0 forums have great things to say about Mark O'Neal and his company.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Ditto on Keith Craft. Nothing but top-notch parts and service!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You're easy ...

Scat kit + Local builder = Better parts, cheaper price, local support. You have to pay tax but you'd have to pay shipping on a mail order so it turns out to be a wash.

I can get you lined up with one of the best local Ford builders in the Northwest. It would help if you had a block to work with but if you don't I can come up with one.

Someone posted our info before (thank you) but contact me and if nothing else I can refer you to a Ford specific machine shop.

Brian
www.ADperformance.com
[email protected]
425-996-0225

1 - 15 of 15 Posts