Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I changed out my tail lights to LED and am pleased with the increased brightness. I was thinking of swapping out my backup bulbs from incandescent to LED. Anyone have personal experience with that? Is it a waste since the lens is sort of frosted?

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
516 Posts
I did a full set (front, tail, and backup) from vintage led. They're great. Very happy.

Their backup lights are: 64.5-70 Reverse Lights

I got the 700 lumen ones.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I put the LED bulbs in the Bach up lights. In the rear tail lights I bought some chrome paint and painted the inside of the housing. I used standard bulbs because I like the old school look. With the painted housing the lights are alot brighter.

·
Registered
67 coupe with 302/C4 and a 69 Sportsroof with 351w
437 Posts
I have the 350 lumen back up lights for my 67, and will order them for the 69 when it’s closer to being finished. The vintageleds.com lights are definitely worth it.

·
Premium Member
9,404 Posts
I have LED backup bulbs in all of my vehicles now. Makes a HUGE difference in seeing and being seen.

Reactions: JAG Sarge

·
Registered
287 Posts
For those of you that like the old, oe look.

Go with a cooler led. Color is denoted by Kelvins, a unit of heat measurement. 5000+ Kelvins is more pure white - ie. daylight, in the 6000s - your getting that blueish glow (the blue part of a flame is the hottest part, right?)

But in the 2500-3500 Kelvin range, I would think the color would be comparable to an incandescent bulb.

Brightness is measured in Lumens (1 Lumen = 1 candle I believe)

And Wattage? Don't worry about it, the LED will draw sooooo much less power, that's why you have equivalent wattage, at least in your home bulbs.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all that weighed in. I appreciate you sharing your experiences. Looks like a no brainer to me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts