Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start my engine and let it run for a while to break in my coated FPA headers. I don't know what exhaust system I will end up with and thought about buying some flex pipe and hooking up some 2.5" mufflers I have sitting on the shelf for some temporary engine run time. It's not a new engine, I bought it used with supposedly 1000 miles on it. Curious if steel flex is my only option?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I used flex pipe on both my 66FB’s to start the engines. It is not expensive and you can bend it any way you need to to avoid contact with under body parts. I actually left it on so I could drive to the muffler shop to have them bend a permanent piece.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you guys get the flex pipe? Also- where did you hang your mufflers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I would like to start my engine and let it run for a while to break in my coated FPA headers. I don't know what exhaust system I will end up with and thought about buying some flex pipe and hooking up some 2.5" mufflers I have sitting on the shelf for some temporary engine run time. It's not a new engine, I bought it used with supposedly 1000 miles on it. Curious if steel flex is my only option?
If you bought your headers from FPA already ceramic coated they need no break in.

Reactions: mikec35

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Where did you guys get the flex pipe? Also- where did you hang your mufflers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ordered it from Summit. For the short time I had it on there, I didn't even bother with mufflers. I just went straight from the FPAs to the flex pipe. Was a bit loud and the neighbors weren't too happy with me, but it worked until I could get it to the exhaust shop.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I bought some at AZ and put the muffs on the garage floor for cam breakin.

Reactions: mikec35

·
Registered
207 Posts
After I installed long tube headers, I drove my '66 for years with SS flexpipe I got from JC Whitney. They were the transition pipes from the headers.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am actually thinking of some flex and small round mufflers, like cherry bombs that I can easily install and leave for a while as I iron out the bugs and get the car road-worthy

·
Registered
594 Posts
Temporary installation? Heck, I had a PO have them installed for permanent!

About a year later, I had a couple of flex pipe "snakes" in the driveway and drove with open headers to the muffler shop. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you bought your headers from FPA already ceramic coated they need no break in.
I didn't see any break in procedures for the FPA's in the paperwork I received with them. I called Performance Coatings who Stan sends them out to and they told me to run (idle) them for 7-10 minutes, let them cool to room temp then run them 15-20 minutes. He said to place a fan and let the temperature "sneak up" on them. I got the shiny Chromex coating, maybe the other coatings don't need any break-in?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I didn't see any break in procedures for the FPA's in the paperwork I received with them. I called Performance Coatings who Stan sends them out to and they told me to run (idle) them for 7-10 minutes, let them cool to room temp then run them 15-20 minutes. He said to place a fan and let the temperature "sneak up" on them. I got the shiny Chromex coating, maybe the other coatings don't need any break-in?
I have the restoration dark gray. I scratched them up putting them in and pulling them out and then back in again. A very durable coating, but it will scratch. I just don't worry about such things anymore and you really can't see them anyway. I never had any new header burn off smell when I fired the motor after installation.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Temporary installation? Heck, I had a PO have them installed for permanent!

About a year later, I had a couple of flex pipe "snakes" in the driveway and drove with open headers to the muffler shop. :LOL:
didn't bother with anything temporary. Just drove open headers to the muffler shop through Long Beach way back when. It was wasn't more than 10 miles. Poked along and tried not to make too much ruckus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts