Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
8,661 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Now I need to do some research on Steeroids!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I am using a steeroids rack and have not had any problems. I think it is a great kit and has worked wonderfully for me. The car tracks straight and feels tight. The one improvement I made was to use a GM saginaw pump. My Ford 5.0 seemed a little quick and easy. After changing to the saginaw the feel of the car improved.

·
Registered
96 Posts
GM Saignaw Pump

I am in the process of ordering a Steeriods kit. Did you order the pump from them. If you could do it all over again is there anything youd do differant with your rack and pinion.

I am using a steeroids rack and have not had any problems. I think it is a great kit and has worked wonderfully for me. The car tracks straight and feels tight. The one improvement I made was to use a GM saginaw pump. My Ford 5.0 seemed a little quick and easy. After changing to the saginaw the feel of the car improved.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If i could do it over again, i would never buy a steeriods kit.

The supplied rack had alote of play in it, If you grapped the draglink on both ends, you could rotated it like a propellor and move the draglink up and down. Even after re adjusting the rack, it still has play in it. this play causes the alignment to change during cornering and braking.

I talk with my supplyer about this problem and he send Steeriods a mail about this and got the respons that it was normal.

The supplied brackets and drag link aren't strong either. They also flex.

To get rid of the play, i build a guide link, just like the RRS rack&pinion system and made stronger brackets.

There where some more problems with the kit.

I am sorry to say it but i can not recoment the steeriods or simulair kit to anyone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm using this one, bought it from Aeroform and I'm very happy with it (using my stock pump). I was unfortunate enough to bend/brake one of the tubes on the rack, and they sent me new ones for free when I bought my Ididit column from them a year later. Haven't tried other mustangs with different kits though.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I still haven't had any problems with my setup. I purchased the pump later and from a local auto parts store. I had to make a bracket for the pump because I had to mount it on the drivers side below the alternator which is on the driver's side head. As you know I have alot going on in my engine compartments so you won't have to do all that custom stuff. If they sell a GM saginaw pump and bracket with a kit then get it. If not look into March Performance and some of their brackets.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hi

I am doing my power rack and pinion and adding the serpentine system at the same time.

GM Saignaw and the Delphi steering pump are they the same. Cant seem to get a straight answer from anyone.

March Performance Vs Concept 1 kit any pro's and cons between the 2 of them. Id be getting the entire set pulleys, pump, alternator , brackets and everything.
I still haven't had any problems with my setup. I purchased the pump later and from a local auto parts store. I had to make a bracket for the pump because I had to mount it on the drivers side below the alternator which is on the driver's side head. As you know I have alot going on in my engine compartments so you won't have to do all that custom stuff. If they sell a GM saginaw pump and bracket with a kit then get it. If not look into March Performance and some of their brackets.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I you are looking for a complete accessory/pulley system I would go with Concept 1. I like the look and I think it is a little more compact system (closer to the block and heads) which creates more space for radiators and fans.

The only other consideration to think of is a pulley system that allows you to use a KRC pump which is adjustable. That is the type of pump some of the higher price systems like TCP use with their kits.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Concept 1

I will definately be ordering the complete Concept 1 pulley kit. The Pump they sell with the Kit is the Delphi Steering pump.

Im a little thrown off here if you can adjust the flow with it or not, what should the ideal flow be ?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I am not sure about flow but there is an adjustment valve you can buy to fine tune it. IIRC it was made by CPP but I am not sure. That is if you don't like the feel with the stock Delphi pump.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Darreld

Thanks for your help, sometimes one just has to make a decision too much research on something can get confusing for a novice like me.

So in the Morning I am ordering the Full Concept 1 pulley kit they can make the adjustments for me. I checked out a couple of mustangs that have had this Kit and steering pump no problems with them so far.

After I hang up with them Im getting the full Steeriods rack and Pinion including the Tilt Column. Did you get their Column as well. Basically if this works for you , it should work for me as well.

Next step is to get an aluminum 3 core radiator, basically looking for a show type radiator. Radiator has to look good it can perform average.

Choices are Giffin, Norther radiator, Champion or Becool. I want electric fans with it. Darreld I read a long time ago that you put in a custom radiator in your vert, are you happy with it? My budget is to be under $800.00 including radiator, electic fan, module, overflow resovoir Good looks are priority # 1.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have a custom radiator that is from Wizardcooling.com. I needed a special combo radiator, shroud and fan combo to clear all my crap. Here is a link. Beautiful work. Give Scott a call and see what he can do. The quality is much better than the radiators you listed above. Just don't know if it will fit in the budget or not. Likely will though.
https://wizardcooling.com/

·
Registered
900 Posts
darrelds has one of the nicest rads ive seen in pics--

maybe this year i will make it to a show in seattle..im sure if my car was beside his theyd get some attention.. :)

i dont believe any of the pumps have a flow adjustment except the KRC one that you can change the valve in
thats what TCP resells.

check out vintage airs front runner setup.. i have used it on 2 cars and its very nice. compact and i think the best looking setup for SBF. and i can get you a deal on it >>

i used a misihimoto fox rad in my 65-- fit perfect between framerails. i did some mods but for the price with fans and shroud was good - i still have to make a top trim to finish off the top of the rack for looks, and i have a 90 degree tube to be welded in the top neck so i can use a nascar black braided crimp hose.. -16 AN to the intake.. thats the last detail in my engine compartment is the top rad hose.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow

Wish that was my engine compartment. Im tired of wishing now its time pick things and order them and get them installed now.

I have a new AOD in my car with about 500 miles on it. All rebuilt it is a from a 93 lincoln I dont get the kick down or the take off I expected , I just realized it starts off in second gear.

How much is it gonna cost to correct this I know a need a valve body. Im getting estimates in the range of 2k. Just doesnt sound right to me.

Hey Darreld thank for the pics. NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT !!!!!

I had narrowed down to Northern Radiators ( Summit Brand) or the Champion radiators everyone is raving about. I like the look of wizard cooling. On the phone with Scott.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,654 Posts
For folks wanting to use a Saginaw/Delphi pump in the stock location you can rob the bracket setup from a 1980's 5.0 Ford Econoline van. The 351W vans also used Saginaws but the brackets are specific to 351W's. They continued to use Saginaws after they changed to serpentine belts which brackets differ quite a belt from the old V-belt setups. Such brackets may not be a direct bolt-on for your application but they give you something to work with. Not easy to find I'm afraid.
Oh, and a usual stock Ford type high pressure hose won't work. You have to have the GM tpe fitting on one end. I did this swap on my 1995 F150 and just bought a 1996 E150 hose. It was happily a bit longer so I just put a little loop in it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts