Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hedman Hedders 88842 (picture attached).
Product page: Hedman Hedders - Block Hugger Hedders

I'd like to know if anyone has used them in their '67/'68 SB Mustang as I'm curious if I'll have any clearance problems and/or any other issues using them. The one that comes to mind right away is excessive heat, I'm new to these headers and don't want to fry anything under my hood either. :) They are advertised as block huggers so I'm thinking I won't have any clearance issues w/shock towers, see attached diagram from Hedman site showing how they hug the block (they are the ones in the bottom RH corner 88420) or go here as attached pic might be too small: http://www.hedman.com/images_products/blockhuggerdimsimage.gif. The 2.5" collector will match right up to the 2.5" Magnaflow system I already have for the car so will be nice if I can use them. The block in my '68 is a '66 289 and the heads I am planning on using are '65 289HP heads. I also have a few other upgrades to add to my engine when I freshen it up and am hoping these headers are going to be a nice addition. One other note is the heads and the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake I'll be using are port matched, logically thinking, less restriction (matched ports, 2.5" collectors into 2.5" system) will mean a little less heat, no?

Now, I have to stop collecting parts and stuff and start getting them on the car! That is a whole other thread right there. :lol:

Thanks in advance for any info!

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, just re-read the description on Hedder's site and it states "The compact, low profile design of Hedman's Block Hugger Hedders is ideal for factory manifold replacement..."

So I guess my question is answered but it'd still be good to hear from anyone who has used them just to be sure there won't be any surprises when I do install them.

Thanks!

Oscar

·
Registered
116 Posts
Honestly, the smart thing to do with any non ceramic lined header, is to wrap it... it keeps the heat in and adds po.wer by helping with exhaust scavengine in the combustion chamber. It in turn lowers the temp of your engine bay, its relatively cheap and actually looks cool too....

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm guessing the straight-down discharge is going to have problems with crossmember and/or steering linkage.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, the smart thing to do with any non ceramic lined header, is to wrap it... it keeps the heat in and adds po.wer by helping with exhaust scavengine in the combustion chamber. It in turn lowers the temp of your engine bay, its relatively cheap and actually looks cool too....
From Hedman's FAQ:

"Q: Heat Wrap Products?

A: Hedman does not recommend these products be used on our hedders. The reason? These products are designed to hold the extreme engine temperature inside the hedder. By doing so, the cool air is not allowed to circulate around the external surface of the tubular construction. Thus the internal temperatures reach extremely high temperatures to almost molten stages causing the hedder to become highly fatigued which will cause hedder failure. This will void your warranty!"

and

"Q: what coating is more durable and longer lasting? ceramic coating or the thermal coating or is there a difference? I am comparing header #68466 and #68468 for future purchase and this will help in deciding. Also how much better is ball and socket flange than the old style bolt flange as far as exaust leaks. thank you very much. wayne

A: we must say our ELITE Series because of the heavy duty ceramic-metallic thermal coating keeps heat inside the tubes for lower engine area temps.
We must also say that we have had less leaks issues with the ball and socket because the older style 3-bolt flanges may eventually break down.
Since we have switched to the new ball and socket our customers have reported less leaks."

Hedman says not to use any wrap and that the Elite series (which these are) have their HD ceramic-metallic thermal coating so I'm hoping excessive heat won't be an issue w/these.

Thanks for the suggestion crickifur but I'll have to go w/what Hedman recommends so I don't end up breaking them and thus voiding any warranty I may have w/them. I'm no guru when it comes to headers and can't afford to mess this up. :)

Oscar

·
Registered
353 Posts
Personally, I'd argue the smart thing to do with any non-ceramic-coated header you care about is to have it ceramic coated. I've used these guys a few times:

Caps Brite Hot Coatings | Powder Coatings, Ceramic Coatings, Cermakrome, And More

I tend to like the duller finishes, the titanium-look and cast-iron and etc. Yes, the coating makes an enormous difference in terms of keeping heat in the exhaust system.

The header mfrs don't like header wrap, and will void your warranty if you care, because the tubes will corrode inside the wrap.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing the straight-down discharge is going to have problems with crossmember and/or steering linkage.
That's what I'm hoping won't be the case and is why I posted here, to see if anyone had those probs. Per the description for these Hedman says they are a "ideal for factory manifold replacement." so am hoping they drop down above all that stuff, especially w/them being the shorty type.

I have a set of OE '83-'96 Mustang GT factory headers I was gonna use but when I saw these Hedman Hedders and for the price I got them for I had to give them a shot, ya know. :)

Oscar

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I'd argue the smart thing to do with any non-ceramic-coated header you care about is to have it ceramic coated. I've used these guys a few times:

Caps Brite Hot Coatings | Powder Coatings, Ceramic Coatings, Cermakrome, And More

I tend to like the duller finishes, the titanium-look and cast-iron and etc. Yes, the coating makes an enormous difference in terms of keeping heat in the exhaust system.

The header mfrs don't like header wrap, and will void your warranty if you care, because the tubes will corrode inside the wrap.
Hedman says their Elite series use a heavy duty ceramic-metallic thermal coating that helps keep the external heat levels down. They also say the following in their FAQ:

"Q: What exactly is your thermal coating? Is it just high heat paint?

A: The difference between Ceramic Coating and HTC coating. They are exactly the same material with one exception. The HTC coated hedder is polished and the Ceramic Coated hedder on our Elite hedder it is not it has a satin finish."

So looks like they are already ceramic coated, again I assume and you know what happens then. I've submitted a question to Hedman asking them to confirm for me that the 88842 Elite series is indeed ceramic coated. I'll post back w/what they say.

Thanks

Oscar

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Btw, I also inquired to Hedman about fitment in a '68 Mustang for these and will post back w/what they tell me.

Oscar

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, forgot to thank you for the link to Caps' site JEM, I will definately keep them in mind as I may need to have a few things coated in the near future.

Oscar

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alrighty, I never heard back on the email I sent and I finally had a chance to call Hedman and ask about fitment into a '68 Mustang and was told that these will not fit in my car, my suspicions confirmed. They told me these are specifically designed for street rods and although they are for the 289/302 they will not fit. So I guess I'll be hitting up the street rod forums to see if anyone might be interested in these new Elite Hedders. I got them for alot less than 1/2 of retail so should get my money back. So looks like I'll be using the '86 GT factory headers I already have after all as I can't afford the new Hedman Elites for my car unless I find a great deal like I did w/these but seeing how many peeps here alone that would snatch them up I find it unlikely I'll find a new set for under $150.

Oh, well, at least we here now know these will not work in our Mustangs so hopefully this helps someone from making the same mistake I did. DOH.

Oscar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts