Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at tractor supply (great store) and came across the paint section. They sell Valspar "Red Oxide" primer in quarts and spray bombs. I picked up a can just to see how close the color was and man it's a dead match! My concern is that I would need to clear coat it because it's a primer. It is an oil base enamel. It is used for tractors and farm equipment and state that is a durable product. Can anyone confirm if clear coating is required? I think so but not sure. If so, can anyone recommend a clear coat that doesn't yellow? Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
If it is an oil based primer, you shouldn't have to clear coat it. Oil repels water and oxygen, so long as you properly prep the surface, and put on a couple of nice, even coats, it should keep the moisture out.
((I might be wrong, but it makes sense to me.))

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Yes used it for years when rebuilding engines , Coated the lifter valley and other areas to speed return of engine oil to the oil pan.

Never clear coated it in this application and would not suggest it for undercarriage if your looking for the original look

1 - 3 of 3 Posts