Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ordered a specific brand support from a reputable supplier and was sent the musclecar GT one instead of what I ordered. No it was not the one everyone bashes... Did a quick check with what I have here and it looks like 18ga steel. I don't have a mic here and my only digital caliper here has a dead battery so I had to do the lock the jaws and then test with drill bits to see what the thickness was. Has anyone used it if so any issues with it...

The only other part I have gotten from Musclecar GT was a pass side fender apron preassembled and it fit like garbage.

Fortunately the export brace I ordered was the correct deep stamping version of the right brand.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I used a Musclecar GT radiator support on my 65 Fastback. Based on my research, it is one off the best ones out there and fit was good. I have used their aprons, torque boxes, and have been very pleased with their repo metal. I think they are the main supplier for Dynacorn as well. I have not used their preassembled aprons with shock towers.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was sent the EDP coated version. From what I can tell if it's the thicker steel it's Ok as there is only one thick version made. I had ordered the scott drake one. It arrived with every corner dented up since there is no packing material. I would have picked it up locally to avoid damage but their local warehouse doesn't carry it and is going to carry less metal in the future.

I see you had the pleasure of being able to measure everything before disassembly. Mine was way out of whack and no measurements could be used. I have had to scrounge up numbers from here and other bulletin boards. Unfortunately no one has made a comprehensive measurement list.

How are you going to get the shock towers in with the fender aprons installed? That would not be easy. Oh and I guess I can't complain about my shop being too small. Looks like very little room on the sides of your mustang.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Musclecar GT is a Dynacorn manufacturer....I am guessing its the exact same "CJ Classics" one that I used...seems to have been a perfect fit(or almost perfect...there was one little area I needed to massage to close a small gap at the battery apron):

I had to relief cut and re-weld this one little area...that is the extent of it though...I consider that pretty good for a re-pop panel.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Musclecar GT is a Dynacorn manufacturer....I am guessing its the exact same "CJ Classics" one that I used...seems to have been a perfect fit(or almost perfect...there was one little area I needed to massage to close a small gap at the battery apron):

I had to relief cut and re-weld this one little area...that is the extent of it though...I consider that pretty good for a re-pop panel.
I remember making that same modification as well against the RH apron.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I was sent the EDP coated version. From what I can tell if it's the thicker steel it's Ok as there is only one thick version made. I had ordered the scott drake one. It arrived with every corner dented up since there is no packing material. I would have picked it up locally to avoid damage but their local warehouse doesn't carry it and is going to carry less metal in the future.

I see you had the pleasure of being able to measure everything before disassembly. Mine was way out of whack and no measurements could be used. I have had to scrounge up numbers from here and other bulletin boards. Unfortunately no one has made a comprehensive measurement list.

How are you going to get the shock towers in with the fender aprons installed? That would not be easy. Oh and I guess I can't complain about my shop being too small. Looks like very little room on the sides of your mustang.
I am going with a Coyote, so no shock towers on this car.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any reason you went with the regular stock style aprons over the ones that have the shock towers already covered up?

I knew about the pass side fender apron to support issue. The jog isn't there on the replacement aprons. No reason to cut the support though just a slit and a tap pack on the apron weld it back together and it's like it never happened.

I got out and test fit the support this afternoon since it's almost 70* and will probably get some work done tomorrow since it will be 72+. It fits Ok. I had already drilled out the spot weld so I could squish the frame rails to where they should be. Slid the support onto the frame rails and they really goofed on the crossmember flanges. They push the frame rails out 1/2" wider than they should be. I am half tempted to bend those flanges towards the rear of the car so they can actually be welded and add a little bit of strength especially since I will have to rework both of them anyway.

I have a spacer that holds the frame rails at the proper width and with the rails tight to the crossmember there is a half inch gap between the spacer and frame rail and the spot in the picture above. Looks like that is the only major issue at the moment with it.

·
Vendor
4,067 Posts
Just posting to reinforce what others have said.. Musclecar GT (MGT) is a primary source for Dynacorn.

Since we bring in our own containers from Taiwan for just about everything that isn't tied-up by an exclusive-agreement, we spend a lot of time explaining to customers that our MGT piece is the same that Dynacorn sells.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just posting to reinforce what others have said.. Musclecar GT (MGT) is a primary source for Dynacorn.

Since we bring in our own containers from Taiwan for just about everything that isn't tied-up by an exclusive-agreement, we spend a lot of time explaining to customers that our MGT piece is the same that Dynacorn sells.

Rick
NPD
I figured it was as that info is on their own website and pretty obvious when you go through their catalog and see the cold galvanized sheet metal. Yeah it fits Ok other than that crossmember flange being a half inch off. Oh and FYI the MGT preassembled pass side fender aprons fit like crap. The holes are off and their jig puts the two pieces too far apart from each other. Other small issues like the fit to the firewall but those are no biggie.

I remember picking up a radiator support at Pate years ago back when there were companies that sold sheet metal at the swapmeets (only one left) and it was so thin I was worried it was going to bend in the wind... It was really sad.

NPD needs a warehouse in the DFW area since we are the furthest from any of your locations... Lots of good locations in Alliance where all the other warehouses are and right next to alliance airport(north Fort Worth) where the 747-800s come in from china.... That area is the main cargo shipping area for the region. Not sure why Summit picked an area so far away from the warehouse district...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts