Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read a link here on the forum about building a 347 stroker and the guy was installing a one piece rear main seal on the crank? Anyone know about these and have any experience with them? Seems like a no brainer way to avoid a possible leak in this area. If so, any idea where to get one? TIA

·
Registered
182 Posts
He was probably using a later-model block which came from the factory with a 1-piece seal. I don't think you can use it on the older 289/302's, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a Boss 302, stroked to 347, and after going through a neoprene seal and 3 rope seals, the rebuilder says I need a 1 piece seal. The plan is for me to pull the motor again during his slow time this winter so he can tear it down and align bore part of the block so a seal can be pressed in. I don't really understand why a 2 piece seal doesn't work, but have heard that Boss 302 blocks had the seal grooves machined separately, such that they didn't line up perfectly with the crank. If that was the case, though, why didn't they leak when they were new?

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts