Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know, it's not the best paint etc, but for my rough little sprint coupe it's right in the budget. Plus, they were nice. The shop's manager took 10 mins to explain how they paint, different packages, etc.

For $299 you get primer, 2 coats of paint and a coat of clear, and a 6 year warranty. This sounds pretty good to me.

Flame me for being a cheapo, but it's appropriate for this coupe. At least I took the time to strip the body and fix the rust properly - not using the BOR (Bondo Over Rust) method that seemed so popular in the 70's :eek:.

Not a show car, but a driver. Whaddaya think?

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Pay for an extra coat or two of clear and wet sand yourself. It would probably look pretty good. Bodywork is what's REALLY critical. Often times the painters at Scheib and Macco are actually quite skilled. It's the prep that screws you over.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Hello.Personally,I'd prefer being horse whipped instead of getting an Earl Scheib paint job. ::But then,it's your car.You get to do what you want to with it.Good luck!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have seen a couple of those jobs.
I am also a cheapo, and am looking for a cheap job myself.
The last one I saw they guy brought them the paint and only paid them to paint it, because they have a limited amount of colors. He had them paint his 65 coupe and it looked decent enough. $300 for primer 2 color coats and clear is a really good deal. I see that price for 1 stage only, no primer.
I say go for it. $300 isnt that much to lose if it comes out bad and you can get by with it for a couple of years. If it comes out nice you have 6 years at least of nice paint.

I remember when I was a kid seeing those commericals " I will paint any car for $29.95" And $10 free body work.
Then it became $39, then $49... Ahhh those were the days :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ive seen a few articles in magazines about Earl Scheib paint jobs and its always been the same. The difference is always in the prep. Good prep by you will get you 90% of the way to a decent paint job.

I wish I could remember the issue of mustang and fast fords that had the article about a budget falcon they did it on but that was a few years back.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Whoh Veronica keep it in the bedroom. I know the vmf is like a second family but we don't need to know all that. To much info. LOL Sorry Veronica I could not resist that one. I will return to the good side now. :: ::

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
prep yourself,let them spray, i used them on a collision on a 94 toyota they put a primer that didnt mate with the paint and it chipped but they honored with a warranty. painting is not hard ,prep is..

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It's not that bad if you do the prep work as others have said, and as far as the quality of the paint material, you currently are at $15,650 on a car wiht the same quality of paint material.
So, if you coudl get someone to give you $15,650 for Earl Sheib material, then it must be ok.

I have shot the omni line and it's ok, but $57 a gallon says something about quality. It's evident in some instances too.

Don't do their primer though. they just prime the car, they don't wetsand it down or anything. I mean, what's the point? Why not primer it yourself, and then wetsand then just have them shoot the color coats. it makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I agree with most of the others. I've seen show quality jobs come out of Maaco with the aforementioned prepwork done ahead of time. You almost can't do it yourself for the price those guys charge; and if you are planning on using it for a driver I believe you would be happy with the results.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Many years a go we had a 65 coupe painted by the local Earl Scheib. NEVER AGAIN...
They did not even remove the license plates before painting, no they didn't paint the plates,they masked them.
What a nice surprise to find a nice rectangle of the original color when I removed the plates

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Great advice given! It's a great deal for what it is. Make sure you do the prep yourself and get in writing they will mask windows and trim, and remove bumpers mirrors etc prior to bringing car. While your at it make sure the don't spray the tires! Elvis has a 3 year old Earl Scheib special, and I'm happy with it. It shows EVERY imperfection/non smooth surface, but I had 3 days to remedy the JUNK in my front yard to appease neigbors, and it did the job. So well, I have put off body work for these 3 years. I drive it and I'm happy with it. It'll at least offer some protection, and look prettier until the day you decide to redo it. Get the extra clearcoat! PS...check the car thoroughly in good light when you pick it up...I noticed days later that they had switched paint batches midway through. Everything past the door is lighter!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I had my car Earl Scheib painted less than a year ago. My sig pic is the paint job I got. I have very detailed photos if you would like to see them. Everyone is right about prepping yourself. Don't let them do ANY prep work. All the filling and priming and stripping of parts should be done by you. When I did mine I took everything I possibly could off the car. I put the tail lights on to drive it there (ideally it should be trailored) and took them off when it was time to paint. They did a fantastic job painting. There were only 2 small runs and some slight orange peel. The most important thing with these guys is that you get 2 or even 3 coats of clear. You have to be able to do a nice deep rubout to really get it nice. ALSO, I was able to get PPG paint from them in the exact 67 acapulco blue I wanted...so paint quality wasn't a concern. I hope this helps. PM me if you want those close up photos. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I imagine that this like any other body shop in that take a close look at cars the particular location has done. I had my car sprayed by a Earl Scheib back in the late 80's after doing the prep myself. I did not have such a great experience. They had missed the areas under the body lines on the side, under the grill opening, and the roof gutters. For missing all these areas there was enough overspray everywhere else to paint a second car. On top of that they only masked off about 90% of the stainless around the windows (only trim on car). There were also a couple runs and the most fun of all was the color. I believe it was an enamel called Apollo Blue and according to the chip it was supposed to be a medium/dark blue. Well it started out a little lighter than I wanted, but then over about two weeks proceeded to turn a greenish shade of aqua. My friends had some good laughs as the color changed a little each day. The color kinda grew on you, like mold. Now that I'm reworking the 'stang again I really hate the paint as it didn't seal the car (rust) and it's a royal pain to remove. I'm not trying to say that this will happen, just check 'em out. I too have seen some pretty good paintjobs done by Maaco, Scheib, etc.. but don't think that they all turn out so well. Good Luck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
back when i was 19 i applied for a job there.they asked me if i could paint 16-20 cars a day!!! now all i had to do was load the gun shoot the paint,while i reload with another color they would move the next one in.i said no it takes me 10 mins. to clean my gun and reload i can't get around a car 2-3 times in 15-20 mins so i didn't get the job,oh well. anyway i always joked that a guy could walk in monday and never painted a car before and by friday you would know what the heck you were doing because you've painted a 100 cars.if you can get 10 sheets of 400 wet or dry,get the garden hose out and sand the car good,wouldn't hurt to mask it with 3m automotive tape.take it to them and let them sand a little more and paint it,their painter has plenty of experence!just don't expect him to care a whole lot he is going to shoot it,run it out-next! can't get much more for 300.00 larry

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I used Maaco to paint Lottie in 2000, and it still shines like brand new. There are 3 "must do" things when going to a shop like that

a.) PREP THE CAR. I don't care how many times it's been said in this thread. DO IT. Overpsray is nightmarish.

b.) MAINTAIN THE PAINT. It is NOT OE style paint and cannot stand up to abuse as well as high dollar OE paint. You canno treat a Maaco/Sheib job like you would a brand new Mustang GT's paint job and expect it to last.

c.) Maintain it. Again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts