Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CJ Pony sells replacement "roller kit" for the idler arm bushings. I have the quick-steering kit, and wondered if this would help with the steering ease and feel. I will also be putting in roller spring perches due to the great responce from previous posts. I look forward to your comments before spending 80 bucks!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've installed the Cobra Automotive roller idler bushes. I also have the quick steering kit. They do exactly what you say - ease the steering. When I put brand new rubber idler bushes in and torqued them up to the correct specs, the idler arm was hard to turn by hand. With the roller bushes it was much easier. To me they are an integral part of all those small changes you do like roller spring perches, boxed arms etc, which don't make a vast difference by themselves, but when added as a whole transform the car. They are worth doing IMHO.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, that's what I had hoped someone would say. With a 16:1 manual steering box, quick steering kit, and low profile 15x7's the car is very difficult to steer while going slow. My goal was performance and fun versus ease of use, but I look forward to the "roller" spring seat and idler arm changes for the upcoming season :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I also installed the Cobra Automotive roller bearing kit. But I did it in combination with the boxed control arms, adjustable strut rods, spherical bearing lower control arms and roller spring perches so it's hard to pinpoint the greatest improvement. All these things made for a heckuva better handling car though. Definately worth doing.
Dave

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I have a roller idler arm that Opentracker made for me.
It made quite an improvement.
Definitely reduced steering effort and IMO I have more driver feedback when cornering.
Just another "Thank You Opentracker" improvement LOL

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
We have them in several cars. As each car needs a new idler, we put in a roller unit. Much better than rubber. Again, a performance alignment is needed. If the cars are set to factory settings, they drive like Poo-poo!

John

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just a question, why is the factory alignment specs so poor on a modified Mustang? It seems that as soon as we make the suspension and steering better, we have to change the alignment spec to a "performance" alignment. Just seems odd to me that the factory specs were sufficient on the binding factory style but as soon as we improve the efficiency / geometry the factory spec are really bad to the point that the car is almost undrivable. At least that is my experience.

TIA for your feedback

1 - 8 of 8 Posts