·
Registered
21,492 Posts
I have the exact same setup on my '66, which I did in 1990 by following
an article in the now defunct Super Ford Magazine. (I also put a grease
fitting on my z-bar)
The roller bearings for the pedal support were from NAPA, originally
used on shop creepers.....

I remember that article. When I started out on my project I was looking through the Grainger catalog for roller bearings that I could use for the pedal hanger but couldn't find anything that would work. I was thinking some sort of flange bearing but the were all way to wide. So I just sent it off to Mustang Steve. When I got it back, I couldn't imagine where he got the bearings from. Then one day when I was at the hardware store where we have an account from work, I was just going through the draws just for the heck of it and found the bearings! They're listed for landscaping riding mowers.

·
Registered
827 Posts
When I did a new clutch on my wife's stock '66 I hogged out the D hole and made a bronze shouldered bushing for the bottom end and replaced the adjuster rod. It works very well. When I did the Z bar on my '67 I made a new upper rod out of stainless steel with bolts welded on each end of it and then used teflon washers and stainless washers with nuts to take out any play. The z bar itself was beefed up considerably with various pieces of steel to eliminate any flex and I made shouldered bronze bushings for it as well. I installed a zerk fitting to the Z bar and a torque strap to the motor. Clutch action is greatly improved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thoughts on cost vs. performance? I read once that opentracker did these?

Thanks
I was having trouble with the clutch linkage coming out of adjustment all the time. So I upgraded to the Roller Z Bar from Open Tracker and installed the Scott Drake Clutch Pedal Bearing and it made a world of difference on the feel of the clutch pedal.

I did see that a Torque Strap was important when doing this modification. John from Open Tracker let me know he used a standard Ace Hardware turnbuckle and mounted it to his sway bar mounts. I wanted something that was functional but looked cool so I went with a Turnbuckle from E Rigging and Rod End Bolts from McMaster-Car. I didn't want to feel a lot of vibration so I used polyurethane bushing on the end where I mounted it to the sway bar bracket. I used the 1/2 Turnbuckle and the hardware to match.

So far it has worked great and my clutch has stayed in adjustment. I will say that I have tons of torque and I could feel the transmission twist in my hand when i drove it hard in first and second. That movement is gone now.

Just for the feel of the clutch I think the modification is worthwhile.

Attachments

21 - 23 of 23 Posts