Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few places offer oil undercoating for cars ...anyone using this on their stang or other cars for that matter?

what type of oil do they use?, what are the side effect if any, does it work for you?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I use rubberized undercoating and spray bedliner for undercoatings. The rubber undercoating I use is a plain jane variety and is oil based. Stuff seems to work well for what I want out of it.

·
Premium Member
4,926 Posts
when I had my 79 Cobra I would squirt oil from
a hand pump can in the doors and in the quarters
about twice a year and it worked great. I would
use the old oil that I drained from the engine.
On the down side you have oil driping from all
over the car so you have to watch where you park
for a few days. There use to be a company called
"Rust Check" ,rust protection for old cars which
was basicly what I was doing. It works!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not want anything permanent .... i was hoping for something somewhat transparent even if it was oily to the touch ...your solution seems a lot thicker.

That is for my 73 vert, i have 25k in it's resto i don't want to deface it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I will be using it as a dd so i was hoping to find something that would protect the inner fender(which are painted ) but prevent rust while preserving looks

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How dirty did it get after a few years of use?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
years ago i had a buddy whos father would take 90 wt gear lube(i think), heat it on a hot plate, and had some sort of sprayer that he would put it in, and spay inside the doors, fenders, 1/4's etc..had an old (1965 i believe) dodge pick-up that he did it to once a year(bought it new)and other than a few days of having to park in the street because of the oil dripping, it seemed to work great..looks as good the last time i saw it (couple years ago) as it did the day he bought it..he would only spray on a fine mist of it..dont know if it would hurt anything else..rubber ect..but seemed to work on stopping the rust..and here in ohio, thats hard to do..lol..good luck............. joe

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Any oil will work to keep rust from forming on bare metal. you also have to keep in mind that its not going to stay on there as well as a spray on bed liner with adhesives in it. also, if your driving it, every speck of dirt that passes near the oiled surfaces will stick, and you will end up with a thick black goo... which i would imagine would still keep the rust away, but it is going to look just as ugly as a under coating. im not quite sure if i just finished stating the obvious, or it actually helped you, but good luck either way you go.

- Jason

G

·
0 Posts
Up here in Canada just about everyone gets their car rustproofed.Some use oils and some shops offer drip free materials which all seem to work good. As MrSiv just mentioned on the previous note, the only disadvantage is that it looks real bad after the dust and dirt sticks to it.The other thing that I don't like is that when you have to do work on your car, you come out with this oily stuff all over you.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Haven't read about many auto applications of this, and in CA it's unneeded, but you could reduce/stop corrosion with cathodic protection. A less "noble" metal like aluminum or zinc, in spray or bar form, is attached to the body and grounded to an earth ground like a water pipe when parked. Water heaters, steel ships and pipelines use sacrificial magnesium/zinc anodes like this. Anybody heard of this used for cars? I think I've seen impressed current devices for stored cars, that you plug in, same principle.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am Canadian too and this is what i feared the accumulation of grime....

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
What Ken66 is saying I think is in the JC Whitney catalog.

In my aircraft I use "Corrosion X" or "Boeing T-9" which works well and isn't too messy. T-9 has some kind of parrifin quality and is fairly clean and can be purchased at aircraft supply houses in spray can. Boeing uses it so must be good. Don't normally rust but corrode. Think its still good.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Try 3M "rust fighter".It sprays out like oil to soak into cracks and crevices and then overnight it dries to a wax like consistency.No drips after that.You can get it at any Napa store or any body shop supply that sells 3M products...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
A leaky tailshaft seal on a C-4 works well from the transmission back./forums/images/icons/smile.gif The U-Joint distributes the fluid evenly./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This sounds pretty good I sure will look into it, thanks for the reply, truly appreciated

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
I live in Montreal (Quebec - Canada) and the city and provincial road dept still go hog wild with salt in the winter although somewhat less than they used to for environmental reasons. I bring my '87 Chevy Cavalier Z-24 to a rust proofing chain (Rust Check) every October for a re-coating of rust proofing oil. I have been doing this since I bought the car new and there is absolutely no rust on the car (and it DOES go out in the salt bath during the winter). Prior to bringing the car in, I do my best to clean the undercariage with the garden hose, let dry for 2-3 days then bring it in to one of the Rust Check franchises. They have 2 levels of rust proofing : the $50 or so one, and the $110 (CDN) one. I always went with the more expensive one and I give the spray technician a generous tip so he dosen't skimp on the quantity of rustproofing oil he applies. On the $110 application he sprays a redish color "lighter" oil in all the inside cavities (doors, etc.). It smells like cheries and is like a thick WD-40 oil. A much more thicker and black color oil is sprayed on the undercariage (this black stuff was introduced about 2 years ago and stick longer to the undercariage than the red oil). I leave the car outside for a few days while it finishes dripping oil on a cardboard, then wash the car. A US friend of mine said there are no such rust proofing by oil franchises in the US because the EPA wouldn't allow it.??? Anyways, the Rust Check oil works on my car and I'll have my '66 Mustang coupe sprayed when its restoration will be finished.
Phil

·
Premium Member
4,926 Posts
In addition to my 79 Cobra I used oil in the
wheel well of my 73 conv which stopped the
rust. The oil does attract dirt but it wipes
off easily and becomes less of an issue as the
oil soaks in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts