Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone using serpentine belt set up with borgeson conversion 65 mustang if so what pulley or kit did you use?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I just swapped from the V belts to a Serpentine setup on my '65..

I've got the Borgeson power steering kit with their saginaw pump, a 1 wire alternator, Sanden AC compressor and standard rotation pax side exit water pump on a '65 timing cover.

I had originally run a 3g alternator, but the cases have so much variety that I found it easier to grab a tuff stuff 1 wire for the new setup. Instead of shimming/cutting etc, it bolted right up.

March makes nice stuff, but holy smokes it's pricey. I decided after much research to run CVF racings setup. In black. Its very nice. They were great to deal with and took many phone calls while I was sorting everything out. Shipping quick and the instructions decent. It lines up nicely and is pretty easy to adjust.

I did run into one problem. There are TWO different setups for the saginaw pumps. Plus two pumps, one with Press kit pulley and one that uses a keyway and bolt. Borgeson had sent me (three years ago now) the pump with a press fit and the wrong bolt pattern. I had always wondered why, even with their brackets why it never quite sat right with the v belts. Found out with CVF's kit that it was indeed way wrong. A bunch of digging online, a few phone calls I finally had it figured out and verified with a trip to the local speed shop and got myself the proper pump from Tuff Stuff. Pretty much everyone that runs the saginaw in hot rod/classic applications recommends the keyway (bolt on) pulley. I'm just waiting on the pulley to ship here to Canada from CVF and it'll be good to go.

You already have the Borgeson setup I take it?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes already fitted in 65 mustang terrible belt squeal on start up fitted new belts shimmed pulleys etc always preferred serpentine set up,the pulleys i have are aftermarket

·
Registered
990 Posts
I fought belt squeal on the alternator for a long while. Thats one of the many reasons I went serpentine. Maybe post a picture? I too had difficulty tensioning the PS pump pulley with the v belt and the Borgeson pump.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I used a CVF serpentine system. Like several other kits, it comes with its own pump. This replaces the Saganaw pump.

Gary

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you use the original borgeson hoses thats assuming you have borgeson steering conversion

·
Registered
248 Posts
I used a March Pulley kit (not sure the part #). The biggest problem I ran into was finding the right pulley to replace on the Borgeson...I eventually found the correct one through Billet Specialties. I attached pics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts