Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had mine on the car now for a while, but still havent ran it {gotta finish the fuel system}.
The coilover kit was a rip off from the TCP kit. However, the mounting points for the TCP kit had two bolt each side from under the rear frame through to the inside of the trunk, and was secured there by a plate of steel and lock nuts.
The UP setup just has you weld the mounting plate under the frame then bolt the upper carrage to the plate you welded.
I never felt this to be secure enough. The week I have drilled through my welded plate through the frame and into the trunk {or upper part of the frame} then used a 1/4 plate of steel that the bolts go through. I then welded the plates to the trunk floor/upper frame.
I was just wondering if anyone ran their UP kit without doing as I did.
Here is the TCP setup..........
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rpss_fd.html

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, by looking up the link above I about fainted when I saw the current price on that setup. I thought $3800 was high when I bought it over five years ago..........

·
Registered
444 Posts
All the load is concentrated on the two oval mounting plates. Sounds like UP's design is better, spreading the load on the framerail by welding a plate to it. Without seeing it, couldn't tell you but all the force is going up on the underside of the frame rail, not the top. Adding the upper plate is probably not going to add anything unless the bottom is welded to the bottom and sides of the frame rail and the plate you added boxes it in from the top and would probably need to be 8-12" long.

Do you have any pictures?

Looks like a very harsh ride with all those heim joints. IMHO The Watts linkage heims on the axle end are sideways.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I wasnt clear enough. I did weld everything up. I just added the plate steel, like I said above, and welded them into the top of trunk floor as well.
Im not building this car for trips to Sunday school so Im not too concerned about ride harshness as the TCP front coilover setup is a little stiffer than the stock setup, but I wouldnt trade it for the stock setup on any of my five ponys.
Ive seen a few of the TCP rear kits on the track, and they seem to do really well. I talked with a few people that owned the TCP kit, and they really liked them.
If you look at the TCP rear kit in the link I posted above you will see that the upper part of the cage is made to slide over the rear frame.
I just welded plates to the upper part of the rear frame/trunk floor, with bolts going through the cage support {welded to the frame} through the rear frame, and through the upper plates.
I was just wondering in my question if others ran there setup with just the cage welded to the bottom of the frame as per the instructions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts