Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At my local pic-a-part, electric power steering columns goes for about $40. Most of the newer car uses column electric power steering. Power comes from the column and the rack is all manual. I thought to myself if someone can figure out how to communicate with the EPS module that is right on the column.

It looks there is a seller one eBay that has done this exactly and sells the kit for $65! All you need is an Electric Power Steering Column from following vehicles which are manufactured by Koyo:

Saturn Vue - from 2002 to 2007
Chevrolet Equinox - from 2005 to 2007
Saturn Ion - from 2003 to 2006 - only in steering column with metal ECU case.

eBay Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-Ion-Chevrolet-Equinox-Electric-power-steering-controller-box-EPAS-/171027023129?hash=item27d2014519&vxp=mtr#ht_1535wt_650

For about $100, you can add electric power steering to just about any car!

Enjoy!

I will be adding this to my 64 Falcon!

Waid

Attachments

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Im gonna keep my manual steering to scare the kids and girls from driving it but this is good to know for other projects.
Everyone wants to know what happens if the electric motor goes out or looses power?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am an ex Ford Power steering engineer. When the motor goes out, its just like losing hydraulic power steering pump!

The electric power steering has been around for a long time in other markets. GM & Ford adapted these recently. The newer Mustang uses electric power rack due to higher rack loads. The column power steering are fine for small and mid-size cars.

Nice thing about column electric power steering is that everything in the engine bay remains all stock.

Waid

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
Pretty much the most intriguing new low-budget mod I've seen in a couple of years. You absolutely have to take pics of the process. Pretty sure everything you do will apply directly to early '67 and older Mustangs.
Those of us with '67+ collapsible columns may have to just watch and scratch our heads for the time being.
I happen to know where there's a wrecked Vue. I'm considering buying the column before the rush is on. Just in case.
Ebay seller is in Portugal of all places. They have lots of Vues and Equinoxes over there I wonder?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Im gonna keep my manual steering to scare the kids and girls from driving it but this is good to know for other projects.
Everyone wants to know what happens if the electric motor goes out or looses power?
Scare them? All the girls I know think it's awesome I steer the car with my man strength. Besides, if the power goes out for whatever reason it's just manual anyways.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The next step is to remove the potentiometer and replace that with a driver circuit and a speed control: full boost when stopped or low speed, reduced boost over 25mph or so.

John

·
Registered
8,661 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Pretty much the most intriguing new low-budget mod I've seen in a couple of years. You absolutely have to take pics of the process. Pretty sure everything you do will apply directly to early '67 and older Mustangs.
Those of us with '67+ collapsible columns may have to just watch and scratch our heads for the time being.
I happen to know where there's a wrecked Vue. I'm considering buying the column before the rush is on. Just in case.
Ebay seller is in Portugal of all places. They have lots of Vues and Equinoxes over there I wonder?

My motto is why spend $1000 when you can do it for $100!

Any OEM solutions for electric brake boosters?
This technology is already here in prototype cars but still a long way before we will see in production cars because there is no fuel economy benefit and high cost. See the attached picture.

So would this really give it a full power steering feel over the power assist?
You may have already driven a car that had an electric power assist without knowing it. Yes it works very well. Too well infact because it is actaully a variable assist!

Waid

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ebay seller is in Portugal of all places. They
have lots of Vues and Equinoxes over there I wonder?

Most manufacturers use global platforms to commonize parts and reduce costs. Typically, the European or Asian version of a Chevy or a Ford will be little smaller yet more advance with more options for local preference.

Koyo is a leading supplier of column electric power steering all over the world. Same technology and it is a commodity like tires. There is a good chance that this same column electric power steering is in another Japanese car with different mounting points.

Typical Japanese manufacture. Koyo makes bearings, steering gears, high end grinding machines etc....

Waid

·
Registered
773 Posts
I will be watching this thread closely, but that looks like a lot of clutter under the dash, especially for those with interior hydraulic clutch setups, the 65 doesn't have a whole lot of room to begin with.

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
Yeah, OK. My point was more that in the global economy Portugal is not exactly known for their automotive technology or the hacking of it.
Incidentally, the most likely Euro Vue equivalent part donor for this particular hack would be the Opel Mokka. Just my guess though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Chevrolet replaced the Cobalt with Cruze which are sold all over Europe. I am guessing that this guy may have been looking to adopt the EPS for his project just like few of us. Now he is able market this box and make few bucks.

Will be making by weekly rounds at pic-a-part and if I find it, I will be pulling the column!

Already have rows of T5 from pic-a-part and couple of LS motors, 4.8 (S10/5-Speed) & 5.3 (foxbody?/4L60E) with 50k miles.:shocked:

Have a rebuilt Explorer 5.0 with GT40 heads & TFS1 Cam for my Falcon. Will keep it all Ford but will have less power than the LS. :(

Waid

Attachments

1 - 20 of 135 Posts