Vintage Mustang Forums banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an idler arm question.
My set up;
Equinox EPAS set up done from the $100 power steering thread.
Original type 16-1 steering box.
All ball joints, steering box, wheel bearings have no indication of slop.
Manual steering from Pittman arm to spindles.

RTC is good till about 1/2 turn on the steering wheel where I have to bring it back to center manually.
What is the best idler arm to use, power or manual?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to revisit how things stand today. The eBay/Portuguese source for controllers is now called Dark Performance Engineering, and he has completed this speed sensitive controller kit, for sale for $100. Does anyone know if there is a way to drive EPAS from a '17 Mustang GT ECU?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I honestly don't understand why you even need power steering above 5mph...to me its simply not much effort if moving faster than that....so if it were me I would just have a speed switch cut the unit on and off at that threshold, eliminates the whole need for any controller at all. Power steering to me is only a parking aid, but I am genuinely curious as to whether anyone else feels manual steering is a burden if you are moving above parking lot speeds...these cars don't weight much after all...not in comparison to modern cars.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The question isn't whether people need it, its whether people even notice at speeds higher than the parking lot in cars that weigh less than 3000lbs, I myself only notice when actually parking a car...once its rolling, its not a burden at all and I don't like it above those speeds because it disconnects you from the road so much while driving.

They sell a lot of things to people who don't know better. Manual transmission sales are less than 2% now...even though they are far more reliable than automatics...and I really don't think the reason is that no one wants them...its because no one can drive them....because only 2% of cars have them, most people never have the opportunity to learn these days...a self-fulfilling prophecy as the saying goes. If people actually knew how to drive an MTX I would say the number would be far closer to 10%.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I honestly don't understand why you even need power steering above 5mph...to me its simply not much effort if moving faster than that....so if it were me I would just have a speed switch cut the unit on and off at that threshold, eliminates the whole need for any controller at all. Power steering to me is only a parking aid, but I am genuinely curious as to whether anyone else feels manual steering is a burden if you are moving above parking lot speeds...these cars don't weight much after all...not in comparison to modern cars.
I agree that assist is only really needed while navigating parking lots. It's even more helpful with larger tires and smaller steering wheels. But I think would be really bad to have assist suddenly come on 100% mid turn if you're just using an on/off switch.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
"Need" is such a subjective word. Do I "need" power steering isn't the question. I "want" power steering is the statement. I use power steering even though I can turn it off. I use it at all speeds, sometimes I turn it down, sometimes I turn it up but I never turn it off. As for road feel, some folks need to be hit with a brick to feel something, they should not have power steering. Others only need nuance telemetry to get the message, they do fine with power steering. I have autocrossed all three options, Manual, Stock power steering with an underdrive pulley set, and EPAS. None of them really changed my times or where I land in the pack. I would not like EPAS if it wasn't for the adjustable rheostat though!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
You need it below 5mph. Over 5mph it actually gives a sloppy feel to steering. Speed sensitive controllers dial down/off amount of assist. You would not have to reach down and turn it off.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
"Need" is such a subjective word. Do I "need" power steering isn't the question. I "want" power steering is the statement. I use power steering even though I can turn it off. I use it at all speeds, sometimes I turn it down, sometimes I turn it up but I never turn it off. As for road feel, some folks need to be hit with a brick to feel something, they should not have power steering. Others only need nuance telemetry to get the message, they do fine with power steering. I have autocrossed all three options, Manual, Stock power steering with an underdrive pulley set, and EPAS. None of them really changed my times or where I land in the pack. I would not like EPAS if it wasn't for the adjustable rheostat though!
A Rheostat implies the amount of assist is based off of voltage input...is that what is actually happening with the EPAS units people have installed? If that is the case I can see exactly how the speed based controllers work and it wouldn't be too difficult to make your own(well, if you like electronics projects anyway).

You need it below 5mph. Over 5mph it actually gives a sloppy feel to steering. Speed sensitive controllers dial down/off amount of assist. You would not have to reach down and turn it off.
I wasn't suggestion a manual switch...just one based on the output of the speed sensor....but as DonP pointed out...that could be problematic at bad times. I fully agree though that I would much rather have under-dash EPAS than hydraulic PS(less fluid is always better...as is more room in the engine bay)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
My engine bay temps are down a lot since the oil driven PS was replaced with the “100 dollar” set up.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
"$100" was the OP my cost ended up being closer to $250.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Owners of classic cars should not be asking the want vs need question, as none of us need to own these cars.

Im putting a Borgeson with tilt wheel in my 65 and a EAPS in my 67, with tilt in the 67 if I can find JY parts to make it work.

I only wish that the EAPS mod would have been around when I had my 64 F100. Thats one of the main reasons I sold it, the misses couldnt drive it and a straight axle PS conversion is crazy expensive. The other reason I sold it is that it was to nice to use it as a truck.

121 - 135 of 135 Posts