Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No reply for my last post, so I'll try again:

I'm attempting to assemble my deluxe wheel. Here is the exploded view from the illustrated manual, so you can play along at home.

What I'm finding is that when I install the three screws without the springs (52792-S) through the plate on the front of the wheel (13A848), through the collar (3491) and into the outer horn ring (13A890/13A808), there is not enough separation between the outer and inner horn ring. In other words, they are in constant contact.

What am I doing wrong here? I've thought about putting some washers behind the 13A848 plate, thereby slightly pushing back the collar and outer horn ring. Do you think that would work? Even if it does, that can't possibly be what Ford had in mind....

Steve

G

·
0 Posts
Steve, more times than not, those wheels are a pain in the you know what! If you are using the replacement horn ring, there is a raised circle where the screws go through, and it holds the insulators hold the contact ring up too high, so both contact rings touch all the time. If I'm on the same page as the problem you are having, you can space the "other" contact ring, or find someone in the machine shop arena that can flatten that built up ring. I hope some of this made sense to you.

Chris

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think we're talking the same thing. My horn ring is a later replacement part (C7AA-13A800-C, a 1967 part number). Sounds like my washer idea is the way to go.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Sorry Steve - I have to admit stupidity here....I've repaired a few of the wheels, but never actually installed one myself. Good luck - Dickson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts