Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of horsepower are you getting and what kind of setup are you running?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
OK I'll bite..but not happy with the results. 265 at the wheels..edelbrock performer intake, heads, cam, carb (600) MSD, hedman shorties, 2 1/2 " with X pipe. The short block is stock.
blkstlln

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
At the wheels that is a good start......

Consider ignition timing and fine tuning of the carb

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
265 at the wheels, Thats pretty good dude for a 289 the way you have it set up.
I go to the Dyno tomorrow with my 429. I will be happy if I hit 280 hp at the rear wheels.
Don't forget most people talking hp numbers are talking at the Flywheel or just guessing. These are hard and fast numbers.
Anyone talking big HP numbers on their cars but haven't Dyno'd, I would love to see them if they have it done.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think with your set up it will be no problem. It was my first dyno (they did it 3 times) there is just something about the sound/feeling of standing by your car as it is running at 6,000 rpm...I will try and scan and post my results tomorrow...The bonus was, my curve revealed an ignition or fuel problem..I am guessing my fuel regulator is going south..
blkstlln

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My 289 made 225 at the wheels with K code manifolds and the original 1.08 autolite.The only modifications were some head porting and camshaft.Engine appeared completely stock.The tuning was likely dead on,judging by the air/fuel ratio.Modest combinations can make more power than you think...

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
truth be told I've read the specs on their cams...and was not impressed!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Remember folks, TORQUE, of which horsepower is a derivative, is what moves your pony. Let's hear some torque ratings! I bet I have all your 289s beat with my torque - My Mustang can climb a tree it has so much torque. Gotta love truck motors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts