Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just sent me a link to MAXCORE aluminum radiators. Apparently Virginia Classic Mustang carries them. The top tank is like the original Mustang radiators instead of the flat aluminum box on most of the commercial aluminum radiators available. Since they are aluminum it will be almost as obvious as the regular kind, but it will look more "stock" because of the shape of the top tank. I'm assuming doing anything about painting the radiator black would compromise its ability to dissipate heat. My Mustang hates the triple digit summer temps here in the Sacramento area. Anyone have one of these or know about them?

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I did a quick Google search and it says they're made by ACP, which I've not used their parts before, but hear they have a decent reputation. I went with the Champion radiator and electric fan kit below for a couple reasons... everyone on here and almost everywhere else that I've talked to had no issues with their Champion radiator, direct fit, comes with an electric fan and most importantly it has a lifetime warranty on it. The Maxcore radiator you're referring to only has a 1 year warranty. I'm guessing this radiator would be for one of the 69 mustangs in your signature? The one below is a 3 row with twin 12" electric fans and only $250, that'd be the route I'd go if it were me. Just my 2 cents

1964 1965 1966 Ford Mustang 3 Row Champion Radiator 16" Fan Combo Mounting Kit | eBay

1967 19703 Row Champion Ford Mustang All Aluminum 3 Row Champion Radiator Fan Co | eBay

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Yes, I am curious about these as well...

Anyone have any new experience with them??

They look well made!!

The problem with those cheap 4 Seasons/Modine/Spectra Premium radiators is that the top tank is not welded on them and they always leak or blow from the top...even though they look close to stock.. These new MAXCORE radiators look like a nice alternative to the cheap ones..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm following this as well - I've got a champion and it's never fit quite right as mine is a saddle mount and I've never gotten the bracket hold it just right.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I'm following this as well - I've got a champion and it's never fit quite right as mine is a saddle mount and I've never gotten the bracket hold it just right.
What is a saddle mount? I had one in my 68 fastback and currently have one in my 65 fastback and it bolted right up

·
Registered
604 Posts
Saddle mount - it doesn't bolt directly to the radiator support, but rather held from the top and bottom by brackets. On the top - the bracket fits over the tank on either side of the filler neck. Since the tank is wider on the champion and doesn't have dimples on it like the stock tank, the bracket just never fit right. These Maxcore tanks look like they have the dimples like the stock one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the acp maxcore 24inch rad in my 68 gt/cs 302. Really like it. OEM fit and look. I bought the radiator paint from eastwood and painted it except for the center fins. I highly recommend it.....

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
You can use Eastwood radiator paint to get the OEM look. I used it on another project car and it didn't impact the heat dissipation at all. Will be using it on my Mustang build too.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
FWIW, when I installed the aluminum radiator in my car I didn't like the look with the unpainted core visible through the grill. I took a large sharpie marker and drew a line on the radiator to outline the exposed areas. Some time with masking tape and cardboard shielded the areas I wished to remain unpainted. I used the Eastwood paint and was very happy with the results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very Happy with Mine

I know this response is late for the original post, but maybe it will be useful to someone seeing it.

I recently installed the ACP MAXCORE 24" aluminum radiator in my 1968 GT 390 convertible. The motor had always ran hot, so I went for the MAXCORE 2-row unit with 1.25" tubes because I live in Central Texas.

After the install, the temp gauge seemed to be stuck at the correct operating temperature. The real test came when I spent 45 minutes stuck in stop & go traffic on a humid 100F day. Even under those conditions, the temperature gauge didn't not budge! I was amazed...especially since I was frying with the black vinyl seats and the top down.

The radiator is a bit thicker than stock, which isn't obvious until you install it (or pay closer attention to the dimensions when you buy it). I had to adjust the spacer on my fan to have enough room, but otherwise, it fit well.

The performance has lived up to the highest expectations and I am still amazed to be able to operate my big block 49 year old car in any weather with no worries about cooling. I highly recommend these radiators.

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,702 Posts
Yes, I am curious about these as well...

Anyone have any new experience with them?
Thread bump. Yeah, I do now. I've had my ACP (All Classic Parts, Inc.) MAXCORE for nearly a year now including a stop and go traffic jam in stifling North Carolina heat with the A/C on. I had one eye glued to that temp gauge, a real test. It turns out I need not have worried. I'm thrilled with the thing in all aspects. I wanted a large tube 2 row aluminum (shaves a few pounds in weight) but also wanted a rad that looked period and fit like oem. All I had to do was squirt it with Eastwood radiator paint and voila. I got the wider version and the oem saddle mounts fit perfectly. I have no idea where they're made but they look well made.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Yes, They are the ticket and way to go...and well made! Here are some pics courtesy of "VARILUX" here on the VMF....

A can or two of Eastwood's Radiator Black and you're off to the Races!

:eek:)

Tony K.

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Been running one of these in my 66 for about a year now. Bought the 3 row version with the larger tubes. Had to use a 4 row bracket kit to use the factory shroud and a shorter spacer block for fan clearance but the radiator performs very well. I have an a/c car in the Houston area and the temp gauge seems to never go past mid way even in traffic. Very happy with this radiator also.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Been running one of these in my 66 for about a year now. Bought the 3 row version with the larger tubes. Had to use a 4 row bracket kit to use the factory shroud and a shorter spacer block for fan clearance but the radiator performs very well. I have an a/c car in the Houston area and the temp gauge seems to never go past mid way even in traffic. Very happy with this radiator also.
Why the 3 row vs the 2 - Fixing to pull the trigger on one of these max cools, but having pre-buy jitters. I was thinking electric fan and shroud.. I have the same setup 66 AC PS AT Fan Shroud clutch fan and old copper 3 core. Was wondering about the electric fans and shroud addition. Spoke to some Mustang builders in N Hou and they're using Northern Rads and the Shroud and fan kit. Just trying to figure out which way to go. Too far into this baby to skimp on cooling.

·
Registered
717 Posts
No specific reason other than I’ve not had good luck with stock 2 row radiators in the past and did not want to take a chance the 2 row would not be enough cooling capacity after spending this kind of coin. The 2 row ACP may have worked fine but I’m happy with the 3 row.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I just picked up a 2 row ACP aluminum rad as well for my 66, 289 Four Seasons clutch fan with no spacer. I'm using stock motor mounts and my fan clutch is only 1/4" away from the rad. So it's either a different fan clutch or I'll be looking at an electric fan.
i have the 2-row ACP MaxCore in my ‘66 and with a therm clutch fan you must run no spacer and the low profile Hayden fan clutch 2947. With this setup the clutch sits approx 1-inch from the radiator and the fan is almost half inside the stock shroud.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts