Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like sturdy Fox Body OEM Valve Covers and they usually don't leak.

Anyway to replace the long oil fill tube with flush cap or breather or something for carb application?

Thanks

Waid

s-l1600 (1).jpg

·
Registered
978 Posts
On a factory 87-93 Mustang 5.0 the passenger side valve cover is supposed to have a breather port that connects to the intake elbow. And there is no PCV port on either valve cover. The PCV valve is on the back of the intake manifold.

I would not recommend those valve covers for a classic mustang with a carburetor type intake manifold.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I used them on my FFR Cobra, but they were modified with weld on bungs for the filtered air intake, a remote PCV and an oil fill. I got the weld on bungs from XRP. These covers won't work with aftermarket rockers, unless the interior splash baffles are removed.

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
Might I suggest the "other" fox body valve covers? I love mine and you don't have the filler tube/PCV issue.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On a factory 87-93 Mustang 5.0 the passenger side valve cover is supposed to have a breather port that connects to the intake elbow. And there is no PCV port on either valve cover. The PCV valve is on the back of the intake manifold.

I would not recommend those valve covers for a classic mustang with a carburetor type intake manifold.

I got these free!

I was going to drill a 2nd hole on the other cover for either a breather or a fill cap.

The stock fill cap tube stands out like a sore thumb

Waid

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Might I suggest the "other" fox body valve covers? I love mine and you don't have the filler tube/PCV issue.

yours are on backwards ,is your filler on the right rear cover ?
To the OP I also like "the other Fox body valve covers" plus I extended the filler for easier fill ups

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
yours are on backwards ,is your filler on the right rear cover ?
Backwards according to stock application, not according to my setup. As you can see, the PCV connection is on the front side of the carb. The breather is in the back on the passenger side. I pop out the PCV valve to fill the oil. It's super easy.

·
Registered
292 Posts
And "R Model" tribute owners pay obscene amounts to replicate the dual oil fill tube setup on those valve covers!

A good set of R Model replica valve covers are $495 (Cobra Automotive) with powder coating plus if you are running a more modern roller rocker setup you need another $150-$200 in valve cover spacers. If you are handy with a welder you can fab up your own covers with extended tubes...but you still need the spacers.

·
Registered
37,701 Posts
Whack most of it off with a cut-off wheel and use a '65-66 open breather oil filler cap.... Option 2, pull the entire spout and retrofit a '65-66 spout AND cap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts