Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 67 GTA with 289. I want to change the trans to a AOD and also put a EFI system on it. Everything is stock so far but I do want to put some good flowing heads on it. I'm looking for better mileage.

Can I put the AOD in it now (trans needs rebuilding anyway). I can't find info on this swap.

Will a 90 EIF system fit under the stock hood of a 67?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,666 Posts
AOD's are non-electronic and are happy enough behind a carbureted engine. AOD swaps are covered here and there, nothing much unusual. You will need a 164 tooth 28 ounce flexplate. I just ask for a flexplate for a 1991 Crown Victoria 351W at the parts store to get the right one. Also you HAVE to have the Lokar TV cable to hok to the carburetor. Most are stainless but if you look they also sell a black one that is a bit cheaper. I don't know if the Lokar will transfer to an EFI setup, you might be better off with a stock one. If you swap to a 5.0 (with EFI) later you will also need another flexplate with the 50 ounce imbalance.

·
Registered
236 Posts
There is lots of info on the aod swap. Even thought I opted for a 4R70W in my build I used all the AOD info as a guide. 4R70W is a little longer so I had to accommodate for that. Some guys are putting late model 4R70W gear sets into AODs since they are stronger.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can you run stock shifter with aod? or do you have to get a ratchet or hammer (aftermarket) shifter?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Can you run stock shifter with aod? or do you have to get a ratchet or hammer (aftermarket) shifter?
Yes, and imo, the Mustang Village linkage kit is the best option. I found the PA linkage was sub standard, and their solution to clearance issues was "take a hammer to your floor"

I wish someone made a cable adapter, but I haven't seen one yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still wanting to know if the EFI system will fit under the stock hood?

I've heard that the Truck one will not. What about the others?
I have a B&M ratchet shifter in it now and will switch it out for another ratchet. I have a ratchet shifter that is for a 4L80E (Chevy Trans) that I might can modify to work. will have to see.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Seen it many times. People mostly (if not all the time) use the Explorer setup as it is lower.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
many thanks. Trying to figure out if I want a Victor JR with injectors and then run a 90 degree elbow for the TB or go with the EFI setup from Ford. I was thinking that I could go with the Victor JR manifold, injectors etc... then use the stock TB and computer and wiring for the rest.

I do want something that would look nice too. Not sure this would meet my wants. A full polished EFI system off a Cobra would. bling, bling..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes, and imo, the Mustang Village linkage kit is the best option. I found the PA linkage was sub standard, and their solution to clearance issues was "take a hammer to your floor"

Hoosierbuddy made one but the link to his pics don't work anymore. I tried to revive the thread without luck.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Still wanting to know if the EFI system will fit under the stock hood?

I've heard that the Truck one will not. What about the others?
A stock Fox intake will fit, most aftermarket setups will (some can be tight) but be careful of any fittings or plumbing that stick up from the manifold or TB.

None will clear stock cowl braces or the one piece 'export brace', best alternative IMO is the Maier Racing brace that's modeled after their Fox strut-tower brace, it will clear most intakes as well as power brake boosters/MCs.

Late '90s Explorer V8 fuel rail (while they still used a return, think they went returnless in '99) has feed/return hookups at the rear, easier to plumb than trying to get fuel and return to the front right for the Fox setup.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Dan,

I'm actually doing the same conversion (AOD/EFI) on my 67 Coupe.

I have rebuilt a '91 donor engine with TFS Stage 1 cam, AFR 165 and TFS Track Heat top end. I have dropped the engine in the bay for mock up and with a 3/8" spacer it still fits under the hood.

As far as strut tower/monte carlo bars go, my curved '67 monte carlo bar still fits around the distributor but the stock tower braces won't. I emailed both Maier and Mustang Depot to see if their braces would clear the manifold (gave them the dimensions etc) but they haven't replied.

From what I have found the guys with upgraded upper intakes (larger than the Explorer) are making their own braces or modifying the TCP system.

I'll drop a few picks of the mockup motor in the engine bay on my car domain page if you want to check it out...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/685600/1967-ford-mustang

I'm at the "figuring out the harness stage"...once I have that out he way I'll attack the AOD stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Love the center console. I have a B&M Ratchet shifter and I'm plannng to build a custom console. I just left Classic Auto Air yesterday in Dallas and will be putting in one of their perfect fit electronic AC units to replace mine. I want the AC controls in the console though.

My C4 trans is on the outs. It is stock but shifts like a full race trans. AOD will happen before EFI.

I'm been a chevy guy all my life, but own 2 Fords. Purchased the stang about 3 years ago for my wife. I like the way the gm efi systems look. Some of the new cobra intakes look good to. Just want something that is very functional but looks good to.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I kept the export brace, and ran with an intake box. I'm trying to achieve a vintage look with the EFI motor. I'm having an aluminum intake made up to replace the composite one in the pic, and I'm looking for a fiber-looking hose to cover the plastic intake hose and mass air, giving it that Corvette fuelie look. I'll be using steel brake lines for my vacuum lines, with clean bends, and I'm hoping to leave people scratching their head......

For the record, my car is a GTA Tribute.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW!! just found the edelbrock pro flow xt efi system. now if I can get just the intake and adapt the 90 mustang efi system, I'll be able to go.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

Guess who makes the shifter for Mustang Village and others?
ME!
VMF price $80 includes shipping.
[email protected]

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I have 89 EFI in my 67 with no clearance problems at all. Pain in the *** routing the air filter though unless you use the stock fugly black hose (which I did have to end up using).

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I had to use that ugly black hose for my homemade cold air kit...
I'm trying to source an oversize hose like the early Fuel injection Vettes , that will cover the fox hose.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts