Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'd like to ask about any good/bad experiences with trans shops, local or national. This would be an AOD behind a 347, a 360 hp street engine. One that usually pops up first when you search for Ford AOD has an "F" rating with the BBB (probably doesn't stand for Ford) so I'm looking for someone a bit more reputable! I'm in the Mpls/St Paul area, but most bigger builders will ship. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Not sure who is good these days but I have dealt with Monster transmissions about 15 years ago and I would not recommend them. Maybe they have gotten better but back then they were not a quality product. The cases were obviously not cleaned well, they didn't change the manual shift lever seal so it leaked immediately. They installed the piston of a TV valve upside down which means it doesn't work. There were other issues as well.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Who ever you choose to go with check out Baumann controls about site and go with their recommendation on AOD upgrades. Even though they do not support that tranny they have a plethora of good info on the mods needed.
I personally went to a local “non franchised” trans shop with a 50 dollar core and Baumanns mod info and had them do the work. Total cost a bit over 900 bucks CDN.
My old arthritic bones love my AOD.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who ever you choose to go with check out Baumann controls about site and go with their recommendation on AOD upgrades. Even though they do not support that tranny they have a plethora of good info on the mods needed.
I personally went to a local “non franchised” trans shop with a 50 dollar core and Baumanns mod info and had them do the work. Total cost a bit over 900 bucks CDN.
My old arthritic bones love my AOD.
Thank you, I will look into their website.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got an AOD transmission from Monster Transmission about three years ago and so far haven't had any issues so far. I also use my car as a daily driver if that helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'd recommend a 4r70w over an AOD if you're looking to have fun with the car. 1-2 goes lightning fast (0 to ~50mph) and 3-4 are so far apart from 1-2 you've lost all your "get up and go."

My AOD has a 2400 stall lock up converter, and a shift kit along with a 3.73 rear end. Professionally built. The gear ratios of this transmission are just awful, as well as it's durability behind a 300+ hp/tq engine. I have a 408w in front of my AOD, hp/tq isn't the problem.

Heard better things about the 4r70w. Better gear ratios, stronger OD band (blew mine after 1 month of easy driving breaking in the 408w), and select-able shift points. Cost to build should be about the same besides having to buy a trans controller (I believe Bauman makes one for a fair price).

Just some friendly advice, go for the 4r70w if you're wanting an automatic. I hope to have one some time soon. I regret having this AOD built every time I drive my car.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would also recommend the 4r70W. I went with a Lentech AOD matched to a big block torque monster build about 8 years ago and it is still going strong. I installed a 4r70W in my new lower HP build with a US Shift (Bauman) controller. No TV cable or pressure worries.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Hi, I'd like to ask about any good/bad experiences with trans shops, local or national. This would be an AOD behind a 347, a 360 hp street engine. One that usually pops up first when you search for Ford AOD has an "F" rating with the BBB (probably doesn't stand for Ford) so I'm looking for someone a bit more reputable! I'm in the Mpls/St Paul area, but most bigger builders will ship. Thanks for any advice.
It's funny how long a bad experience sticks with you. I built my car back in '08. I wanted an AOD to go behind my 500 hp 408W. I searched the 'net, and an outfit called PATC out of Bossier City, LA emerged as my best bet. Huge mistake! The transmission failed quickly (lost 4th gear, then 3rd...). I took it to my local transmission shop and he said it needed a total rebuild. Probably caused by PATC's "custom" valve body. PATC wouldn't let the local guy fix it, and would only consider taking care of it if I delivered it back to their facility. Well, that was beyond impractical, so I just had "my" guy rebuild it at my expense. It failed again in short order. PATC's valve body was hosed, so I bought another one from Silver Fox. Failed, again. We ended up going with a TCI constant pressure VB, and it has worked ever since. The shifts are too harsh, but they keep the transmission alive.

I don't know what the answer is. My AOD is built with all of the special, hard, high performance parts, and only with the constant pressure VB has it survived.

I chose the AOD over the 4R70W for two reasons: 1) I felt the first gear ratio was more appropriate for me and 2) I didn't want to deal with electronics/controller.

I also have an '03 Mach 1 with an auto. I presume it's a 4R70W. It failed, too! Similar 4th gear failure as my AOD. My guy rebuilt it, too, with upgraded parts, and it's done fine since then.

Lots of data, but the main thing I'm trying to say is to stat away from PATC. And, make sure your trans is built with the best parts available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts