Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been thinking and plotting over Project Overdrive, now that Project While I'm At It, is put to bed.

To refresh everyone's memory. I bought a low milage, '98 vintage AOD-E 4R70W transmission from Fullthrottle, that he was going to put in, but decided to go manual instead. He also sold me a Baumman Engineering TCS box (the brain for it), a flexplate, and the torque convertor. About a year and a half ago I put all of this on the floor in my barn, and there it has sat while I've tired to figure out how to do this swap. I now have more questions then ever.

For instance. I emailed Ron Morris last week about what he could tell me. He personally responded, but he had more questions then answers.

1. He seems to think the AOD-E case is bigger than an AOD and may not even fit the tranny tunnel.
2. He informs me that the AOD-E doesn't even use a speedo cable, and I would need a "speedo driver" to have any chance to get my speedometer to work. This begs the question, "What the F_$& is a speedo driver?" Color me clueless.

On top of these minor issues, (like will it even fit) I've still never found:

1. Anyone that makes an AOD-E crossmember. No, it ain't the same as an AOD...so don't start saying "Windsorfox". It won't work. I asked them. So, that means I'll have to fabricate one. No biggy I guess.

2. Any way to make my stock console shifter work with the AOD-E. The 4R70W uses a cable shifter. The lever points down on the shift mechanism, not up....and you can't just take off the pan and flip it over to use the WindsorFox rod linkage. I THINK I'd actually need to make some brackets and fabricate adaptors to use a cable with my stock shifter. I've bid on a '97 Mustang shifter on ehay (complete with cable)...just on the chance I can learn enough about how it works...and possibly use the cable itself...to convert my stock console shifter to work.

Oh...what else. I'd need new headers, because mine aren't going to clear the big AOD-E tranny. I'd need new motor mounts, because the JBA shorties I've got my eye on won't work with the early '65 mounts. I need a yoke. I need a motor plate. I need a dipstick (I feel like a dipstick for ever starting down this road /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif), I need my drive shaft redone, I'll need my exhaust redone, I need longer mounting bolts, I don't EVEN KNOW IF THE TRANNY I BOUGHT IS ANY GOOD OR NOT!

Sheesh...what a mess. Does anyone have any useful information, helpful advice (or "advise"), or just want to comiserate with me?

And most importantly, is it too early to start drinking heavily?

Phil

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hey Phil,
Have you thought of maybe trading the '98 tranny for an earlier model that Windsor-Fox has the proper modification parts available?

I've sure got to hand it to you Phil, you always have the guts to take on those HUGE projects. Good luck, and we'll all be rooting for you from the sidelines.

Tim

Afterthought: you might try e-mailing mustangsteve, he's always attempting putting late model parts in early stangs, maybe he's tried something similar to this one. His e-mail address is [email protected]

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
WOW, that sounds like it will be both time consuming and expensive. Why not just get an AOD instead? would be cheaper. Good Luck either way!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I'd need new headers, because mine aren't going to clear the big AOD-E tranny. I'd need new motor mounts, because the JBA shorties I've got my eye on won't work with the early '65 mounts. I need a yoke. I need a motor plate.

Yea, but think of all the money you'll save on gasoline!
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

(J/K)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
There is a point at which time and money start to mean nothing in an "original" project. You just have to decide where that point is and ask yourself if you will be flying by that point any time soon to finish your little project.

If it were me (and I am all for doing things the weird way, just look at my mustang /forums/images/icons/smile.gif) I would trade that puppy in for a regular AOD and call it done. But if you have the time, ie, no wife, no kids, no job, and an endless pit of money, then go for it!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
As per our previous conversations, the 70 convertible we're working on has the AOD in it now. According to the guys who installed it, you CAN flip the lever upside down and make it work, similar to the AOD setup.

As far as the transmission mount, I'll send you a picture of the universal mount I've designed, it will adjust to a great number of engine/chassis combos. I promise it's in the mail tonight!

Finally, even though the outside casings are different, apparently the internal guts will interchange. the speedo cable isn't too much of a problem: rather than running to a cable that spins a speedometer, it runs to an encoder which feeds to the computer, then the computer then runs the speedometer. It helps regulate fuel and performance economy. There is still a gear inside the transmission to run the encoder, I believe.

If you already have the transmission, bring it on up and we can do some side by side comparisons for ourselves. Doing conversions like this is kinda like making nuclear bombs: once the first guy figured it out, doing it again is easy. It's committing to being first that's the problem!

Dave

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I was unaware that the AOD-E is bigger than the AOD. If it would help any, I'll be in the garage working tonight, and will take measurements of my AOD. The AOD is VERY big in comparison to the original C4 that was in my '66 coupe. If it were any bigger, it probably woudlnt' work. Putting gauges onto the TV port was a very painstaking process as there's only about 3/4" clearance between the tranny and the tunnel.

My full length FlowTech headers worked with the AOD, but just barely. I had to grind away part of the collector to allow room for the tranny pan on the driver's side.

Let me know if you need the measuerments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts