Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, looking at AOD’s locally and have a question which of these two look Like a better fit for my 65 coupe with a 289

#1 AOD from 89 f150 (with 4x4 transfer case still attached) and has rebuild record $200. Would need to get the tail housing, long one or short? Any other details regarding buying a tail housing I should know?

portland.craigslist.org/wsc/for/d/north-plains-1989-ford-overdrive-auto/7085135585.html

#2. Not much detail about this one, other than fox body mustang AOD 87-93 $600. From what I understand this is considered a more “drop in” ready tranny than one taken from a pickup

thanks for opinions!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,627 Posts
In stock original form, the insides of a truck are a tad bit more robust than a Mustang's. Not by much and it's possible a rebuild by someone who cares can level the field.
The truck AOD will work but you'll need not only the tailhousing but the matching output shaft. To swap output shafts you have to tear the AOD ALL the way down. I just did this the other day. The parts needed to do so are getting kind of scarce these days.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts