Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys... picked up my 66 coupe yesterday from the tranny shop. Long story short, I had a resto shop convert from 3-spd manual to AOD. It shifted WAY too late right out of the gate (like, 75mph to get into overdrive). Shifts were rough. I was told the stock gearing (2.80:1) was too high, and to switch to a 3.8, so I purchased one and took it to a well-reviewed tranny shop to swap the diff and "service" the transmission. For many reasons, I didn't trust the resto shop to touch the car again, so that's why I didn't take it back there.

SO... the tranny shop did their thing and gave it back... it shifted WAY too soon... into overdrive by 30mph, and stack shifting 2/3. I took it back. Got it back and now it still stack shifted 2/3 but also went into neutral between 3/OD. I took it back. A very long time later, I picked it up (yesterday). At one point they said they were upgrading me to AODE (free of charge), upgraded valve body, upgraded cable, whatever... but I have no clue how to tell if any of that happened.

Now, it shifts smoothly, doesn't stack shift, and doesn't go into neutral, but under light load, it still shifts 1/2 at 10mph, 2/3 at 20mph, 3/OD at 30mph. If I'm on it, it'll stretch out and go into OD at about 45mph. MAYBE 50mph if I'm REALLY on it. Downshifts are fairly smooth, but just way too late. It sits in OD till well below 30mph, so if I'm slowing for a turn, it bogs down terribly when getting back on the gas. In the early OD gearing, it hesitates. If I slow to 30mph, and then gun it, it'll hesitate and then downshift into 3rd. I told the shop guy this and he said they can "adjust it to my specs as much as possible."

I've been reading about the early shifting and it sounds like maybe the 3.80 gearing was not the way to go (though I wanted the additional torque. Everything says the AOD was designed for higher geared cars, so my 3.80 could be why it is shifting early. I'm reading about the TransGo AOD shift kit that helps with this.

In addition, I know the motor needs a look, as it taps loudly, though seems to have decent power. I'm debating whether to get that resolved before fixing the transmission setup to rule that out, but I'm leaning towards this not being an issue, as it does have good power. Just sounds like crap.

Any thoughts? I feel like I've reached the end of the shops capabilities as far as knowing the specific details for setup of an AOD for my car. If I go back to them, I need to go with a plan.

Thanks!

Rocky
66 Mustang Coupe 289/Holley/Performer Intake

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
212 Posts
Guys... picked up my 66 coupe yesterday from the tranny shop. Long story short, I had a resto shop convert from 3-spd manual to AOD. It shifted WAY too late right out of the gate (like, 75mph to get into overdrive). Shifts were rough. I was told the stock gearing (2.80:1) was too high, and to switch to a 3.8, so I purchased one and took it to a well-reviewed tranny shop to swap the diff and "service" the transmission. For many reasons, I didn't trust the resto shop to touch the car again, so that's why I didn't take it back there.

SO... the tranny shop did their thing and gave it back... it shifted WAY too soon... into overdrive by 30mph, and stack shifting 2/3. I took it back. Got it back and now it still stack shifted 2/3 but also went into neutral between 3/OD. I took it back. A very long time later, I picked it up (yesterday). At one point they said they were upgrading me to AODE (free of charge), upgraded valve body, upgraded cable, whatever... but I have no clue how to tell if any of that happened.

Now, it shifts smoothly, doesn't stack shift, and doesn't go into neutral, but under light load, it still shifts 1/2 at 10mph, 2/3 at 20mph, 3/OD at 30mph. If I'm on it, it'll stretch out and go into OD at about 45mph. MAYBE 50mph if I'm REALLY on it. Downshifts are fairly smooth, but just way too late. It sits in OD till well below 30mph, so if I'm slowing for a turn, it bogs down terribly when getting back on the gas. In the early OD gearing, it hesitates. If I slow to 30mph, and then gun it, it'll hesitate and then downshift into 3rd. I told the shop guy this and he said they can "adjust it to my specs as much as possible."

I've been reading about the early shifting and it sounds like maybe the 3.80 gearing was not the way to go (though I wanted the additional torque. Everything says the AOD was designed for higher geared cars, so my 3.80 could be why it is shifting early. I'm reading about the TransGo AOD shift kit that helps with this.

In addition, I know the motor needs a look, as it taps loudly, though seems to have decent power. I'm debating whether to get that resolved before fixing the transmission setup to rule that out, but I'm leaning towards this not being an issue, as it does have good power. Just sounds like crap.

Any thoughts? I feel like I've reached the end of the shops capabilities as far as knowing the specific details for setup of an AOD for my car. If I go back to them, I need to go with a plan.

Thanks!

Rocky
66 Mustang Coupe 289/Holley/Performer Intake
I rebuilt transmissions for Ford for many years. They can not upgrade an AOD to an AODE without major changes, You would need a computer to make it (e) for electronic. The gears has nothing to do with it, Vehicles have different gears and the trans. is adjusted for that. You will have a rod or cable off from the carb that adjusts the shifts, I would assume they installed a shift kit. Depending on which year trans, and rod or cable there are different procedures. Probably need to install a psi gauge to the TV port and main line port to see what the psi is. The carb bracket has to have the correct angle for the rod or cable. I would need a pic of carb bracket to help you more.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I believe the Trans Go kit raises the WOT shift points up to ~5,500 rpm. I don't think the kit changes low speed shift points.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Probably need to install a psi gauge to the TV port and main line port to see what the psi is. The carb bracket has to have the correct angle for the rod or cable. I would need a pic of carb bracket to help you more.
I agree with Jmo1999. I have a '66 289 A code with AOD and 3.55 rear end. Feels like a perfect combination, but it shifted too early. There are instructions for setting up the AOD on YouTube. I got the TV cable spacer used to adjust the pump pressure to 30 psi in neutral at idle. Then remove the spacer and make sure it returns to 0 psi. Perfected the shifts with my AOD. I don't think 3.80 gears is your problem.

·
7,005 Posts
X3 on this. You need to review procedures for setting up your TV cable and follow them to the letter. The best way uses a pressure gauge.

Phil

·
Registered
285 Posts
You don't say what carburetor you have and what the geometry is connecting the TV cable. It could be you need a geometry corrector.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts