Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This may not be worth your time, but I was hoping you could explain AOD to me. I've heard lots of talk about it in Mustang Forums and such, but I'm not sure what it is. I figure OD stands for Over Drive. So these transmission have Over Drive? Also there capable of handling more power? I have a 66 Mustang with a stock C-4 and a mild 289 4v, with plans of some engine mods (up to 350HP) or a new crate engine.

Id like to know what AOD is, what its benifits are, if you can convert the stock C-4 to AOD, and how big of a project that would be? My car will only be used on the street.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Id like to know what AOD is, what its benifits are, if you can convert the stock C-4 to AOD, and how big of a project that would be? My car will only be used on the street.

<hr></blockquote>
AOD == [color:red]A</font color=red>utomatic [color:red]O</font color=red>ver[color:red]D</font color=red>rive.

A C4 can not be converted to AOD. You CAN add an additional gearbox to a C4, which will turn it into a six speed. The process is involved. I recall seeing a How-To article in one of the many Mustang magazines on this in the past year or so.

Check out http://www.gearvendors.com for more info.

·
6,855 Posts
There has been a ton of discussion here regarding AOD's. Use the forum search feature for more information, but in a nut shell here's the scoop on AODs.

The AOD was one of Ford's automatic transmissions during the 80's and up until 1993 when it was replaced with the AODE "Automatic Overdrive Electronic". The proper AOD, properly set up, can be installed in a vintage mustang in place of the C4. You can have it built to handle pretty much whatever power level you want within reason. The primary advantage of the AOD is the overdrive gear, which gives a 1.33:1 output. In other words, it will lower your highway RPM by 1/3. This in and of itself will make your car more streetable, increase milage, and increase your car's potential top speed (assuming it is red line limited...as mine is).

If you look through any mustang catalog such as NPDs or MustangPlus, you will see many of the parts necessary to do an AOD conversion. Windsorfox http://www.windsorfox.com makes and sells many of the required parts. One part they don't sell is the actual AOD. These are available from places like Summit for around $1200, or as rebuilt units from others for less or more. When I was looking for an AOD, I could not find a good used unit in my area. The one's I found were all 100,000 mile units that needed rebuilt, and rebuilders quoted around $1000 + core to rebuild. So, I faltered on my AOD conversion. I ended up with another idea, that is gathering dust right now in my barn...but that's a story for another day. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Phil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts