Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW MUCH LOSS OF POWER FROM AN AOD. I NOW HAVE A C4, BUT AM THINKING OF UPGRADING TO AN AOD SO I CAN RUN LOWER REAR GEARS. I HAVE READ MANY POSTS ABOUT THE C6 BEING HEAVY AND ROBBING ALOT OF POWER. DOES THE AOD ROB ALOT OF POWER LIKE THE C6? HOW HEAVY IS THE AOD COMPARED TO THE C4. HAS ANYBODY DONE THIS SWAP AND IF SO WHAT DID YOU THINK?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have the swap and Iove it. I cruise at 70 turning 1800 rpm. I do not know the parasitic loss of the AOD, but I feel like I have more power since the swap. That may be just because my old one was worn out and slipping, I don't know how bad it was. I highly recommend the swap. Makes the car much more pleasurable to drive and my mileage jumped up to 17 mpg.

One other thing. In "internet etiquette" using all caps is like shouting. You might want to use normal case on your messages. Sooner or later someone having a bad day will give you grief over it.

If you have any other questions on the swap I will be happy to answer them. Ray Hillebrand also has the AOD and would be happy to do the same I am sure. I know there are others on the board, but I don't know who they are. I am sure they will surface quickly for you if you need them. Good luck on the project if you decide to do it.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Good rule of thumb is 30-50 hp at 6000 rpm....remember, since an automatic is just a big hydraulic pump with a bunch of stuff rotating behind it, the HP requirement depends on RPM and pressures required internally.

As an example, the C4 in my race car, which has been blueprinted and runs low friction thrust washers, might actually have a higher HP loss, since it has been altered to produce a higher line pressure (for more clamping force), which takes more HP to produce.

I wouldn't worry to much about the losses in a AOD...the positives far outweigh the negatives, IME experiences here on the VMF and with friends who've done the swap.....Since the AOD has more stuff inside for the extra gear, it's a little heavier than a C4 and, if it has a lock-up converter, that'll add some weight too...still a pretty light trans

1 - 3 of 3 Posts