Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a 302 with AOD and installing it in a 67 coupe. I think it came out of a t bird. I dont have it yet so I cant get any numbers off it. But what crossmember can I use. I know there are a number of them that allow you to just bolt up the AOD but have no experience. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Well, it won't be the stock 67 one. The AOD is about 4-5 inches longer so you will have to buy the custom one for your year and trans.
AND, get ready to shorten the driveshaft too.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Ron Morris makes a wonderful AOD tranny cross member for a little over $100. Yes the driveline length is too long so you will need to shorten the yoke, or the driveline or find another driveline already shortened.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
AND, get ready to shorten the driveshaft too.
As old as the AOD conversion is, I cannot figure out why this misnomer is still out there. You do NOT have to cut the driveshaft to install a short tail shaft AOD (the most common one). You do, however need to either use the AOD yoke, or shorten a C4 yoke.

My x-member was made by Windsor Fox, but they've been out of business for several years. I think NPD sells them, though, as does fellow VMFer, JimWilliamson.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think its the short style b/c my mechanic said he did a swap on a 66 and it was the easiest swap he had ever done with the correct crossmember.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm thinking about doing this swap myself, here's and online how to I found: Link It doesn't get to too deep in the weeds in explaining some things and there's no pictures, but it's a start. I'm thinking and AOD out of a late Mustang or F150 should do the trick. From what I read here aswell any AOD you find will probably need a good going over from a Transmission shop.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
. Yes the driveline length is too long so you will need to shorten the yoke, or the driveline or find another driveline already shortened.
No it isn't! It is too long ONLY if you have the long tail shaft AOD, like found in trucks. If you have the short tail shaft, you DO NOT need to shorten the drive shaft. You would need to cut a c4 yoke as it is too long for an AOD, but you absolutely, positively do not need to shorten the drive shaft.

I used to have a C4 and 8" rear in my '66. I swapped the C4 for an AOD and didn't touch the driveshaft (just used the AOD yoke). Then I swapped the 8" for a 9" and still haven't touched the drive shaft.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
John

OK so stay away from the pickup AOD's because they're two long. In your opinion what car/s and year models should one be searching for? I was guessing 83-90ish?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a couple of questions. first, Exactly what flex plate is needed (part number or useage) to use with a 66 289 that allows use of the standard starter while maintaining the correct balance weight. There seems to be some confusionabout this part. I now have a C-4. Is there a ready made x-member that allows the AOD swap and still maintains the 66 emergency brake to function. What speedo cable and gear are used. (I have a 2:80 gear, 8 inch now. Is the Lokar(sp) the answer for the tv cable? I would love to do this swap but want to preserve as much of the stock equipment as possible. Has anyone done this with a 2:80 ratio rear end? Seems that one would end up with an awfully tall gear - will a 289 2V pull a gear this tall. Please expound on the pitfalls and good things of this swap if you have done it and used your car. Does anyone have a blueprint or a drawing with measurements of the x-member needed, and can the new x-member be made from the stock crossmember? How much modification is needed to the cooler lines. I recently replaced my stock ones with stainless reproductions - can they be added to or adapted as opposed to cutting them off? Yes, more than a couple of questions. Would love to hear the pro and cons of this swap along with an exact list of the parts needed. I think that most of us with one of these nice old cars has considered how great a taller gear would be. Thanks.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just found out mine is coming out of a 84 Mercury and it has the short tailshaft even though its a huge boat of a car. How do you cut down the yoke?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, I would rather modify a c4 or c6 crossmember or fab up my own than buy one. Does anyone have or know of any plans, schematics, etc??

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
For mounting in a '66, buying a crossmember is really the easiest solution. This swap has been going on for so long that the crossmembers and TV cables available have been proven effective many times over, and yes the '66 version of the crossmember has the e-brake mount already attached.

If all you have is a C4 yoke you can have a machine shop cut an inch off, but it's just as cost effective to find a correct AOD yoke.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Here's a site that's selling a AOD conversion kit: Link

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Since no one makes an AOD x-member for a '73 (at least not the last time I looked) I plan to make my own. The trans mount for an AOD is very close to the position of a C6 mount, so I bought a C6 x-member to fit my car and I plan to modify it to work with the AOD. The front edge needs to be trimmed back to clear the AOD pan, then appropriately reinforced to add back the lost strength from cutting it. Lastly, I'm told the slot for bolting the mount thru the x-member needs to be elongated, but until I can get it mocked up for a trial fit I won't know for certain. If you want to make one for a '67 you can follow the same plan and it should work.

·
Registered
430 Posts
When I did my AOD conversion I made my own crossmember. It was very easy. As for the tranny, a late model would be the best way to go. You can rebuild an early style like the 1984 that you are getting and just update a few parts. That is what I ended up doing. And like John said you don't have shorten the driveshaft. Just use the AOD yoke and life will be good.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Good Grief Robert, Regarding that website,
The prices are almost twice what needs to be spent. A 164 tooth 28 oz balance flexplate (FMX) can be picked up at any salvage yard for $45 or less. The block plate is about $15 to $35, Longer bell housing bolts are available everywhere, Cutting the yoke can be done with a hacksaw and a file. It's soft metal. Motor mount is a standard NAPA item. There are several sellers of AOD Xmembers for less. I make a harness for the N/S switch & rev lights for a lot less than theirs and if you want to use your stock shifter I offer this on Ebay # 280175279285
The conversion is about the best thing you can do for a vintage Stang and it allows you to go as low as 3.55 or better on the diff. and still cruise down the highway in comfort.
You'll love it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts