Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i was looking into stuff for my aod that i got... if i remember right its from a 351w 1985 i think... anyways, reading summit on kits. it reads like some of the kits will not let you shift 1-2-3-OD as you go through the gears. some say "1st, 2nd or 3rd and OD" something like that, i dont have the book with me but do any of the aod's do this or what? i dont want to do this and then find out that there is something that im missing and i cant shift through all the gears when im racing/driving my car when ever i want. some also talk like you have to shift down gears when you slow down.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Have you ever driven a "Green Dot" C4? ('65/'66 C4). The stock AOD is very similar.

The shift pattern for a stock AOD is like this (I'll use the '69's shift indicator, even though mine's in a '66):
P - Park
R - Reverse
N - Nuetral
D - Automatically shifts 1,2,3,OD
2 - Automatically shifts 1,2,3 (will NOT go into OD)
1 - 1st or 2nd gear, depending on RPMs ... will NOT shift automatically at ANY RPM's

So with that in mind, here's how you manually shift an AOD (again ... real similar to shifting a Green Dot)
Shifter in 1st, accelerate 'till your ready for 2nd.
Move shifter to 2nd, tranny will shift to 2nd.
Let the RPM's build just a little, then pull the shifter back to 1st. This will now hold it in 2nd
Continue accelerating until you're ready for 3rd.
Move the shift back to the 2nd position. Tranny will now shift to 3rd and stay there.
When you're ready for OD (freeway ... not the drag strip) shift t "D" and the tranny will go on into OD.

It's not normally needed to downshift an AOD. Since the throttle valve is mechanically controlled, instead of vacuum controlled like the C4/C5/C6/FMX, the AOD will almost always downshift on it's own, shut by flooring it. But if you feel you have the need, just pull the shifter back to the 1st position, and it will downshift and hold until you shift back to 2nd or 3rd position.

It's a little tricky at first, especially drag racing. This is mostly because you're concentrating on pre-staging, then staging, waiting for the other guy to do the same, watching the light, bringing the RPM's up for a good lunch, getting the launch, your adreniline is about to make your head explode, you're watching the tack, keeping the car straight, and now you get to do the wacky thing with the shifter :: When you're shifting the AOD at 6k RPMs, you've got to get that shifter back to 1st position real quick, or you'll blow RIGHT THROUGH 2nd and go right into 3rd.

The only way around all of this is with a full manual valve body like the Art Carr or Lintech.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I don't want to make it seem like manually shifting an AOD is hard, it's not. It just takes a little pracice, that's all. My first time out to the track I goofed the shifts several times and I was extremely inconsistent all day.

I was better the 2nd time out, and on the 3rd time out, I was doing really well. I was nailing the shifts all day, and running consistant 14.4's with a best time of 14.334 at 96 mph ... now to fix my traction-lok and hit the 13's. ::

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
This is the Voice-of-Experience, the man who one day thought "What would happen if I shift my '66 Green Dot transmission like this?" Heh-heh.

A true "Out-of-the-Box" thinker! I wish John and VMF were around back when I had my first '65 Mustang 20 years ago and almost blew up the I6 when I tried to manually shift the Green Dot transmission...

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts